DSM 7 : cannot access system after 'short reset' (admin reset), stuck in loop

Currently reading
DSM 7 : cannot access system after 'short reset' (admin reset), stuck in loop

S

scooby_nas

Hi, hopefully someone here can help me.

-I recently updated my DSM 6 to the latest 7.
-could not login to the system. Performed a 'short reset' (4 secs pinhole till beep).
-result: I get to login to the system with the usual unsafe 'admin' account without a password.
-then I am automatically (no choice here) transported to a white page with the obligation to generate a new password for my second account on the NAS
-the system accepts this password and tells me the 'admin' account is now disabled. I am invited to re-log-in on my second account with my just newly generated and accepted password.
-here it goes wrong: the login is not accepted 'because the combination of login and password is incorrect'.
-resetting again (and again and..) with the short reset does not help, I get stuck in this loop.

I am from the Netherlands and posted on a forum there first. Other Synology DSM7 users were not able to replicate my problem.

I like Groundhog Day as a movie, not as an experience, any suggestions to get out of this loop?

Thanks in advance and regards from the Netherlands, Scooby

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, thanks for your reply fredbert, great.

I do know the name of the other account indeed. It may be that the password does not meet the criteria, but it is accepted first and rejected at the first inlog thereafter.

will try your webassistant suggestion btw. and also a very complex password, just to be sure.

regards! Scooby

Upvote 0
I am invited to re-log-in on my second account with my just newly generated and accepted password.
-here it goes wrong: the login is not accepted 'because the combination of login and password is incorrect'.
I had a similar situation with DSM6 a few months ago. I had to change the default admin password and my own administrator password. Then DSM refused to cooperate. After doing this a few times, I discovered that my original password was accepted.

Essentially. I enabled the default "admin" password, and gave it a complex value (8-10 characters). I did the same with my own password. Eventually I got in on my original personal password, as well as the default admin acct (using the pwd I created there). It was a 3-ring circus. Maybe some combination of that will open a door for you.

Upvote 0
Thanks Telos and others!
Well, my problem is solved (before reading your post), it may have been an error on my part after all or a glitch in the system, but I'm in. Don't know what exactly changed so that I am, but fingers crossed that it will be ok now.
I do like the DSM7 layout much better than the 6 by the way.

Kind regards, Scooby

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency and help users, that helped you, to get a badge.