Currently reading
DSM 7 Hardware Compability

NAS
Synology DS214Play
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
On the Synology website the only *13 device listed as compatible with DSM is the DS213j.

I have a DS213air, does this mean it's not compatible with DSM 7, or should the DS213j be considered the lowest version and everything above is compatible?

I realise the DS213 range is quite old now, and it wouldn't surprise me if I couldn't update to DSM7, but considering the DS213j is listed then surely the DS213air is ok too?

Thank you in advance for any help and assistance.

Looking at the specs for the DS213air vs DS213j then the air looks to be better than the j except that, and it could be a mistake, the air's RAM is 256MB vs 512MB in the j. Same CPU family and more Hz in the Air.

You are correct, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I've checked my DS213air info and it does indeed have 256Mb RAM, I've also checked some reviews of the DS213j and they do corroborate the info above by saying it does have 512Mb RAM.

Might be time to migrate to the DS220+....

I have a 220j with a pair of WD 4TB drives which worked perfectly o. DSM 6, now I am running 7 they have started showing a error message. They are the same as the drive in the compatibility list but don't have the same extension letters to the basic model and have not got the same firmware version as is in the list - they have a later version that fixes issues....

WD say they can't provide the version that is in the Synology compatible list any more as it has bugs etc...

When I raised a case with Synology they in all effects said change my drives - this to me is terrible support.

WD say they can't provide the version that is in the Synology compatible list any more as it has bugs etc...
You're not alone. The "compatibility list" is poorly executed. It is worse than no list. Its apparent purpose is to enable Synology to decline support requests.

User: My NAS periodically shuts down unexpectedly.
Synology: Replace your drives with those on the compatibility list, and see if the issue is resolved.

User rush orders drive replacements...

User: My NAS periodically shuts down unexpectedly. I replaced the drives as you recommended.
Synology: Those drives are no longer on the compatibility list. Replace your drives with those on the compatibility list, and see if the issue is resolved.

User opens eBay account to sell a NAS.

Here is an update on my disc situation. Since I restarted the NAS I have not had any issues with error message for the drives. They seem to be running very well even though they are not in the compatibility list and have a later version of firmware than what Synology recommends. I have also talked to WD again and they have said that the firmware that I am running is a much more efficient and less bugs than the one the Synology recommends.

Here is an update on my disc situation. Since I restarted the NAS I have not had any issues with error message for the drives. They seem to be running very well even though they are not in the compatibility list and have a later version of firmware than what Synology recommends. I have also talked to WD again and they have said that the firmware that I am running is a much more efficient and less bugs than the one the Synology recommends.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear things are running well, despite Synology's shenanigans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.