blackvoid DSM 7 internal preview has begun!!

Currently reading
blackvoid DSM 7 internal preview has begun!!

DSM 7 internal preview has begun!!

The last time I wrote about DSM 7 was back in May, regarding some upcoming feature in the Synology NAS OS version. Then again a short July update in this article about some inside information that we might get the preview version in September 2020. Well, looks like this is still on track, considering that today I got some info that internal preview tests just started!

Continue reading...

What does this mean actually? That all users that have signed up for testing will be able to test it tomorrow or?
Guess we will see. I have not got any update on the matter apart from that it is happening. In what shape or form, it is still unknown.

The old link is still down and redirecting to the main page. Maybe there will be only email notifications for people that have been chosen or there will be another short period for people to signup some more.

If I get any more info in the next 12h, I will post back.

I'm excited!

I got the preview mail too, but I am not sure if I should install it. My backup NAS is too weak and you should probably not install it on the production system. I'm worried that it will break something.

I'm excited!

I got the preview mail too, but I am not sure if I should install it. My backup NAS is too weak and you should probably not install it on the production system. I'm worried that it will break something.
Best not risk it if you can't run it in VM or on a separate machine

Ouh, i'm stupid! :D

I run the Synology Virtual Manager already for my wireguard-Ubuntu-VM.

Of course then i will use a VirtualDSM. Thanks for this idea!

Ouh, i'm stupid! :D

I run the Synology Virtual Manager already for my wireguard-Ubuntu-VM.

Of course then i will use a VirtualDSM. Thanks for this idea!
Keep in mind that VDMS is only one free license. So if you want to run wire and DSM7 you will need another lic for the same unit.

Also VDMS does not support Active Insight and HybridShare services, only bare-metal units do.

Thanks!

I thought the licenses were only for Virtual DSM? And not for Ubuntu VMs?

EDIT: And even with a Ubuntu-VM, the License Manager says: 1/1 free licences :)

Thanks!

I thought the licenses were only for Virtual DSM? And not for Ubuntu VMs?

EDIT: And even with a Ubuntu-VM, the License Manager says: 1/1 free licences :)
You are correct ofc, VDSM only licenses are limited. Wasnt clear before when I wrote.

Just received the invite :)

When installing DSM 7 as VDSM is there an option to install via .pat file manually, or should I select 'Linux' or 'Other' as the OS?

When installing DSM 7 as VDSM is there an option to install via .pat file manually, or should I select 'Linux' or 'Other' as the OS?
You will get a PAT file like with any other version for DSM7. Then inside VMM you will import that PAT as an "image" and you will install DSM7 from that image.
Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 13.17.32.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.