Info DSM 7 is finally here!

Currently reading
Info DSM 7 is finally here!

When are you going to upgrade to DSM7?

• Right away

• Wait a few more updates (i.e. bugs to be fixed)

• I'll stick with 6.2

• I can't upgrade to DSM7 (not supported)

• Waiting for XS-FS DSM version

• Not sure, I'll read a bit more about it

Results are only viewable after voting.
This gets me nervous lol.
I have a production unit with a 20TB used. I want to upgrade so much but I don't know how it'll react. I have 6 synology drive client running and syncing all the time.

Synology Drive on 6.2.4 is sooooo problematic, sync errors etc ever yweek, especially for huge video files. I hope they fixed it in DSM 7.

So many things have been regressed by DSM7
- DS Cloud not supported and no offline function in Android Drive at folder level
- DVT dongle support withdrawn
- Photos very disappointing lack of granular security
- Photo station map function not there

Also I am a big Plex user and I cannot move forward till I am sure there no problems

so cannot move on for time being till I work out what to do

Bob

So many things have been regressed by DSM7
- DS Cloud not supported and no offline function in Android Drive at folder level
- DVT dongle support withdrawn
- Photos very disappointing lack of granular security
- Photo station map function not there

Also I am a big Plex user and I cannot move forward till I am sure there no problems

so cannot move on for time being till I work out what to do

Bob
no need to rush

Introducing: Docker containers!
-- post merged: --

One of the lies?
1625303549473.png

Upgraded last night to DSM7. All went quite smooth (little heart attack: after the installation the NAS didn’t reboot automatically, I waited about 40 mins before I took the courage to press the power button, it was simply powered off).
Honestly big improvement, the average responsiveness of dsm has been raised incredibly.
For Plex lovers: it works without any issue atm. And installation went quite well, if you follow the step by step guide on their forum everything should be fine.

Survey didn't cover my DSM 7 plan:
- Tertiary NAS went from RC DSM 7.0 to GA DSM 7.0
- Backup NAS went from DSM 6.2 to GA DSM 7.0
- Primary NAS remains on DSM 6.2 and will continue to do so for quite some time.
Pretty well covers my plan. Now I have to keep my nerve.

I really need there to be a Photos app for Apple TV, it is a large part of our NAS usage (Photo Station on Apple TV). It concerns me they are not planning to release one. Will hold off as long as I can to keep the Apple TV usage.

I really need there to be a Photos app for Apple TV,
If you've been over to The Other Place you'll see a long thread on this with mostly "+1" comments.

I'm sure this was similarly discussed here w.r.t. Moments as there's no Apple TV app for that. My approach is a Plex library that can access /volume1/photo/Moments, which is the Moments shared album and only has read-only access. Not sure if Plex is seen as good enough display quality but it is for my 1080 pixel TV and I usually edit what's going to get added.

If you've been over to The Other Place you'll see a long thread on this with mostly "+1" comments.

I'm sure this was similarly discussed here w.r.t. Moments as there's no Apple TV app for that. My approach is a Plex library that can access /volume1/photo/Moments, which is the Moments shared album and only has read-only access. Not sure if Plex is seen as good enough display quality but it is for my 1080 pixel TV and I usually edit what's going to get added.
Ahh! great idea, I will look into it and see if we can maintain the "Albums" by folder. If so I think that could work.

Are any of you brave souls whom have upgraded using KODI and the Nvidia Shield for media playback? Any issues? I've seen one posting at "the community" about NFS not working after an upgrade to DSM 7. This, for me would be absolute show stopper.

I still don’t see an added value for the upgrade from 6.x to 7 for power users:
- new GUI isn’t the driver
- Active insights (everyone smart has Grafana/Influx based solution)
- FC support is nice, but in DSM there is still lack of basic enterprise support (see below)

Shame:
- no backup of the entire DSM to C2 or another NAS or simply to USB device
- no native dedupe support (except old in AB4B)
- no object storage system available
- VMM backup (out of the NAS) just to C2 target
- no managed shutdown based on UPS status

What is welcome:
- RAID Fast rebuild (is it really working?)

Just future operation will show how BTRFS meta data stored in NVMe cache will survive in case of overflow, …

@jeyare you're forgetting that exFAT support is now free, FREE I tell you. If that $3.99 saving isn't worth upgrading then I don't know what is 😜

Oh, you already paid for it in DSM 6 ... ok, in that case .... erm... you won't have to pay a $3.99 surcharge on your next NAS.

For me, DSM7 confirms my reasoning that Synology only pretends to be interested in developing the enterprise segment (features/support), but only on the useless side (branded disks, disk restrictions for certain types of devices, branded RAM, ...).

Include foundation derived from the old Linux LTS kernel version, which will expire in 2022, we can forget for:
- Async IO support
- Btrfs swap files support (no need swap partition)
- NVDIMMs support (include BTRFS in usage; it is a powerful weapon for the virtualisation)
- advanced ARM support, then no future for the ARM CPUs in next-gen Syno NASes running with the DSM7
and more security ofc ... in the DSM7

So, we can look pragmatically at what the new system really brought in (late) 2021 or enjoy the unique desktop background like upgrades.
;)

I'm not being offered the update on my DS218+
Is ut just that they haven't got around to me yet, or do these major updates need to be done manually?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.