DSM 7 - NAS is freezing

Currently reading
DSM 7 - NAS is freezing

NAS
DS216j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hello,

we own Synology NAS DS216j. After updating DSM from version 6 to version 7 the NAS completely freezes. The reset button does not work either. Sometimes after connecting to electricity it starts up and runs for a few days before it freezes completely again, sometimes freezing during starting. All lights are on, the LAN light is blinking. NAS does not respond to ping requests, we can't connect using SSH, https or any other way. Writing to log files is interrupted in the middle of the line.

Here is example of log report (systemd.log) at freezing time:
2021-12-17T05:50:15+01:00 nas2 systemd[1]: Starting Support channel checker...
2021-12-17T05:50:15+01:00 nas2 systemd[1]: Starting Check if DS has a connected printer. If so, enable cups....
2021-12-17T05:50:15+01:00 nas2 systemd[1]: Starting Check normal shutdown or improper shutdown...
2021-12-17T05:50:15+01:00 nas2 syste

synosystemd.log
2022-01-28T09:08:14+01:00 nas2 synoscheduled[2721]: systemd_restart.cpp:24 synosystemd: [synoscheduled-vmtouch] restarted.
2022-01-28T09:08:15+01:00 nas2 synosystemctl[8537]: systemd_start.cpp:16 synosystemd: [pgsql] starting ...
2022-01-28T09:08:15+01:00 nas2 synosystemctl[8596]: systemd_reload.cpp:17 synosystemd: [syslog-ng] reloading ...
2022-01-28T09:08:15+01:00

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Sorry to hear that. Your unit has half the minimum recommended memory for DSM7. The performance you see is not unexpected. You may see slight improvement once the initial indexing is complete.

Alternatively, you may roll back to DM7 using unsupported procedures.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your explanation. I do not understand why the Synology offered an upgrade to unsupported version of the OS without any warning. We can wait to see if the problems disappear or we will downgrade.

Upvote 0
I do not understand why the Synology offered an upgrade to unsupported version of the OS without any warning
DSM7 is supported. It just won't perform well in your setting. The memory requirement is stated in the DSM7 release notes.
8JUE4aj.png

That said, I don't know why Synology made the upgrade available to units which have no ability to upgrade memory. Even some of their newest offerings, fall short of the DSM7 memory requirement.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue after upgrading from DSM 6 to 7, but I have DS918+. The only difference is that it freezes about 1 minute after a reboot. I noticed that it freezes when it starts one of the apps that I installed. Funny thing is that all the apps I run on this DSM are from Synology... I opened two tickets to get some help from Synology Customer Support, but they didn't help. I noticed that I can force shout down the DSM by holding the power button for few seconds, then remove some of my disks and when I start it with disks being pulled out - it starts and doesn't freeze. I think that the reason is that the apps aren't running. But it freezes as soon as I begin starting them. I have one last idea - I'll do a factory reset to erase all data from it and all apps, and after this I'll perform a reset mode 2.

Upvote 0
Thank you for sharing your experience. Our NAS has already stabilized and has been running without freezing for almost a month. If it freezes further, I would try the unofficial downgrade option or throw it in the trash.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue after upgrading from DSM 6 to 7, but I have DS918+. The only difference is that it freezes about 1 minute after a reboot. I noticed that it freezes when it starts one of the apps that I installed. Funny thing is that all the apps I run on this DSM are from Synology... I opened two tickets to get some help from Synology Customer Support, but they didn't help. I noticed that I can force shout down the DSM by holding the power button for few seconds, then remove some of my disks and when I start it with disks being pulled out - it starts and doesn't freeze. I think that the reason is that the apps aren't running. But it freezes as soon as I begin starting them. I have one last idea - I'll do a factory reset to erase all data from it and all apps, and after this I'll perform a reset mode 2.
Do you have ram upgraded inside that NAS? If so what brand and how much total ram are you running?

Upvote 0
Hello,

we own Synology NAS DS216j. After updating DSM from version 6 to version 7 the NAS completely freezes. The reset button does not work either. Sometimes after connecting to electricity it starts up and runs for a few days before it freezes completely again, sometimes freezing during starting. All lights are on, the LAN light is blinking. NAS does not respond to ping requests, we can't connect using SSH, https or any other way. Writing to log files is interrupted in the middle of the line.

Here is example of log report (systemd.log) at freezing time:

synosystemd.log

Thank you for your help.

Regards
My DS718+ with 16GB of RAM is doing the same and has been for a fortnight now, never had this issue on DSM 6. Sick of it. Researching a move to QNAP.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.