Currently reading
DSM 7 - okay to go?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
My DS918+ is mainly used for media storage, file storage, backup and hosting a forum. Packages used are:
  • Cloud Sync
  • Hyper Backup
  • Syno9logy Drive Server
  • Active Backup for Microsoft 365
  • Universal Search
  • Plex Media Server
  • VPN Ser er
  • Antivirus Essential
  • PHP 7.3 & 7.4
  • File Station
  • OAuth Service
  • Web Station
  • Node.js v12
  • phpMyAdmin
  • MariaDB 10
  • Audio Station (not running)
  • Download Station (not running)
  • Apache HTTP Server 2.4
  • Synology Application Service
I know there are Plex issues I've got to mitigate, but apart from that are the rest okay?

Trying to work out if all is good to update to DSM7? Is it now stable and good enough to run with? I can't afford for the forum to be offline, or the media / file storage and Plex....

As you said, Plex needs special care, but once you get over that is business as usual. The rest of the apps all look up to date regarding versions so I don't see any problems there, but best to wait for some other responses as well.

There was some mention of web station problems after moving over to 7 but that could be an isolated case.

Upvote 0
I don’t use Plex server (on a NAS) but, I have upgraded a ds713 and a ds1815 and they are both smooth sailing. The only issue I’ve had is on the 713. It kicked up the ram usage quite a bit. It’s running around 50%. I’m hoping future updates will pull that back some. It’s much more polished interface overall IMO and that means it will only get better. I would upgrade my 1511 if I could.

Upvote 0
Hmm a bit unhappy about the UPS situation, but I guess got to go for it at one stage.

I'll hold for a while to get more data from you guys who have updated. Biggest concern I guess from what has been said so far is the problems with web station......

Upvote 0
Biggest concern I guess from what has been said so far is the problems with web station......
I'm using the web station to test the XenForo forum on DSM 7 and it's running smoothly on my DS720+ (SSD).

No other noteworthy problems so far on my side with DSM 7. I'm running it also on DS418play (HDD) with no issues.

Upvote 0
Yep forum is freshly backed up. NAS backed up locally and to C2 last night.

First snag hit when removing the DSM Plex 6 package I was not given the option to leave the settings etc files in place. So looks like it'll be a fresh setup once migrated.. Grrr...

Upvote 0
First snag hit when removing the DSM Plex 6 package I was not given the option to leave the settings etc files in place. So looks like it'll be a fresh setup once migrated.. Grrr...
That's ok. Just follow this tutorial: PLEX migration with DSM 7

Nope, VPN Server seems to be completely broken after DSM 7 Update.
I'm using VPN Server with OpenVPN on DSM 7 and no problems so far.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Yep I'm about to follow that tutorial. DSM 7 upgrade went okay, a few squeaky bum moments with the forum off line - I had to repair PhpMyAdmin and Maria 10 db, but once they were both repaired the forum is back online.

OpenVPN is working for me as well. So just Plex to sort out! And Plex migrated okay once the permissions were changed :)

Overall the update completed okay I think.....

Screenshot 2021-08-12 at 13.21.10.jpg

The only remaining issue is:

Screenshot 2021-08-12 at 13.22.53.jpg

Any ideas how to fix this?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I checked all of those, all look fine.....

Auto-backup of the NAS settings to the Synology Account is working. All online functions seem to be working without issue.

Upvote 0
Well the same error is visible again this morning. Are there any special settings that I should have in place on the router to resolve this? Or is it time to raise another ticket with Synology?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.