Currently reading
DSM 7 - okay to go?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
My DS918+ is mainly used for media storage, file storage, backup and hosting a forum. Packages used are:
  • Cloud Sync
  • Hyper Backup
  • Syno9logy Drive Server
  • Active Backup for Microsoft 365
  • Universal Search
  • Plex Media Server
  • VPN Ser er
  • Antivirus Essential
  • PHP 7.3 & 7.4
  • File Station
  • OAuth Service
  • Web Station
  • Node.js v12
  • phpMyAdmin
  • MariaDB 10
  • Audio Station (not running)
  • Download Station (not running)
  • Apache HTTP Server 2.4
  • Synology Application Service
I know there are Plex issues I've got to mitigate, but apart from that are the rest okay?

Trying to work out if all is good to update to DSM7? Is it now stable and good enough to run with? I can't afford for the forum to be offline, or the media / file storage and Plex....

Last edited:
More problems alas:

Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 13.44.59.jpg
Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 13.45.14.jpg
Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 13.46.10.jpg

The failed to send email error was due to a typo which I've fixed.

However it does seem to think I've a broken internet connection. However I can connect to the NAS over the internet using Quick Connect, and the NAS can once again send out emails. The forum hosted on the NAS can be accessed without any problems.

The internet is reached via a Netgear Orbi RBK53S mesh router which is not configured on the NAS. If I look to configure it I get:

Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 13.54.56.jpg

uPnP is turned off on the router for security. So I'm wondering if there any forwarding rules I need to set up to allow the NAS to get out onto the internet, or any ports I need to open?
At the moment I have the port forwarding in place on the router for Plex, the NAS UX, NAS VPN, WebDav as well as NAS HTTP & HTTPS which all point to the NAS.

From there I turned on uPnP and re-ran the router configurator:

Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 14.20.19.jpg

Alas even though it said it was removing / adding rules no changes were made to the routers forwarding rules. [Possibly as the wrong router was found]?

Upvote 0
Synology have advised:

Sorry to hear about the issue you have experienced.

We are aware of an issue that occurred with some of the Synology Account end points and this should now be resolved.

Kindly help to try again and let us know if the issue persists.

Please kindly advise if you have any questions or further inquiry and I'm more than willing to help if it is something we can help with.

I've gone back to then advising the Configuration Backup is now working but the DSM update is still failing.

Upvote 0
Further response on the ticket:

I'm glad to hear that the Configuration Backup issue is resolved.

As far as I am aware there should be no issue with the DSM Update Check anymore and I can no longer replicate the issue on our office NAS.

Can you help to check the below troubleshooting points to ensure there are no issues with the network configuration of your NAS:

[NTP]
Please ensure that your Regional Options are configured correctly. To check this, please browse to Main Menu > Control Panel > Regional Options and then check that your timezone is set correctly and you are pulling the correct time down from an NTP time server.

[IPv6]
Please also ensure that you have disabled IPv6 on your network interface if your country does not support IPv6 routing (the UK for example does not support IPv6 routing). To do this, please browse to Main Menu > Control Panel > Network > Network Interface > [Select NIC] > Edit > IPv6 and then set the IPv6 setting to 'Off'.

[DNS]
Please ensure that you are using Google's DNS servers to ensure that there is no issue with any DNS name resolution as a result of using your ISP's DNS servers. To change this, please browse to Main Menu > Control Panel > Network > General > Enable ‘Manually configure DNS server’ and then set the primary and secondary DNS options to the following:

Preferred: 8.8.8.8
Alternative: 8.8.4.4

[Gateway]
Ensure that your Default Gateway setting has been properly configured to your router's IP address. This can be changed by browsing to Main Menu > Control Panel > Network > Network Interface > [Select NIC] > Edit and then modify the Gateway option.

[Bond]
Disable any advanced network configuration options such as Jumbo Frames or Link Aggregation. Jumbo Frames can be disabled under Main Menu > Control Panel > Network > Network Interface > [Select NIC] > Edit and then disable the ‘Set MTU value manually’ option.

Link Aggregation can be disabled by deleting the bonded link under Main Menu > Control Panel > Network > Network Interface and then deleting the bonded link (if applicable).

Please let me know if your issue persists, following the above steps.

It's not made any difference alas.
The only changes that needed making were:
  1. IPv6 - Turned off
  2. DNS - Was changed from that of the router to the 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 IP's used by Google DNS

Upvote 0
We're allowed to rant :) Keep us posted on how your ticket goes.

Further feedback, they've connected remotely can't see anything wrong and have now forwarded it on to the dev team in Taiwan.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.