Currently reading
DSM 7 - okay to go?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
My DS918+ is mainly used for media storage, file storage, backup and hosting a forum. Packages used are:
  • Cloud Sync
  • Hyper Backup
  • Syno9logy Drive Server
  • Active Backup for Microsoft 365
  • Universal Search
  • Plex Media Server
  • VPN Ser er
  • Antivirus Essential
  • PHP 7.3 & 7.4
  • File Station
  • OAuth Service
  • Web Station
  • Node.js v12
  • phpMyAdmin
  • MariaDB 10
  • Audio Station (not running)
  • Download Station (not running)
  • Apache HTTP Server 2.4
  • Synology Application Service
I know there are Plex issues I've got to mitigate, but apart from that are the rest okay?

Trying to work out if all is good to update to DSM7? Is it now stable and good enough to run with? I can't afford for the forum to be offline, or the media / file storage and Plex....

Yeah, it refreshes fine for me
42C39B10-358B-43A4-B186-D1F11FAC3094.jpeg

Attachments

• 2999A52E-2052-4419-A8F6-967DFE3398CB.jpeg
    2999A52E-2052-4419-A8F6-967DFE3398CB.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Just follow this tutorial: PLEX migration with DSM 7
I don't blame @tekguru for banging on about upgrading, but actually I do, but it finally tipped me over the edge and I just did my last/main NAS.

I followed @Rusty's instructions and had zero issues. Actually at the step where the new Plex install fails I also added the Plex access to shared folders that hold my Plex libraries (read-only), I then continued with install attempt #2 as instructed and all good.

Also did the refresh on TV and Film metadata 'just in case' there was the subtitles issue.

Other than that I only experienced one issue for which I've raised a support ticket:

I run LDAP Server and use it for VPN Plus and Mail Server:
  1. VPN Plus authentication so that these users won't have much access to other things if their passwords are exposed.
  2. Mail Server because it stores mail in .Maildir which is visible in File Station.
There are some common names, e.g. DSM local user 'fred' and LDAP user '[email protected]'. I apply restricted access to LDAP users so that they can access DSM enough to managed their password but no access to much else, including explicitly setting no access to all but homes shared folder. This was mostly done through the LDAP group '[email protected]'

This worked well in DSM 6 but now I find that these restricting permissions are being applied to DSM local users and groups. I think it's seeing the same named user or group in both DSM local and LDAP and assuming they are the same. Anyway the issue on local users and group is resolved if I remove No Access from [email protected]. Interestingly, the same doesn't happed for package access privileges.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.