NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm trying to setup openvpn on ds220+ but cannot seem to resolve the connection. I've open up port forward 1194 on router and vpn port in firewall rule but tested port forward, 1194 still closed. Anyone had success on openvpn setup?

Thanks

Some questions:
  1. Have you got other port forwarding rules that do work?
    • i.e. confirm that your ISP supports direct inbound connections to your router
    • if other forwarded ports do work: it may be that your ISP blocks VPN services
  2. The router's port forwarding rule for port 1194: does the IP protocol match that of the OpenVPN server?
    • OpenVPN can use either TCP or UDP but the forwarding rue must match it.
  3. Same as question 3, but also for the NAS's firewall rule.
  4. Does the router need a matching firewall rule for forwarded ports, or does it add the firewall rule 'behind the scenes'?
  5. Does the NAS have a static LAN IP?
    • i.e the NAS's LAN IP needs to be fixed so that the router's forwarding rule will work

Upvote 0
I have confirm and tested port forwarding with other ports without any issue.

Port forwarding rule, tried udp or tcp or both but still no change, tried using a different internal port and no change, with internal and external port option.

I have cross compare and use wundertech YouTube video to setup openvpn, tried a few other video but that one seem to be the detailed instruction.

Router appears to be to applying the rule behind the scene.

Edited the openvpn configuration and confirm no error, just thinking 🤔 it could be the router part.

May need to use another method to connect instead

Upvote 0
Are you able to go to canyouseeme.org on a computer within the local lan, and test to see if OpenVPN port is open? From there we can move to the next level and rule out the router.

Upvote 0
I can open other port and verify it works with canyouseeme.org but does not work with 1194, is it possibly with the router itself? what would be another recommended way to remote to your nas other than vpn?

Upvote 0
I can open other port and verify it works with canyouseeme.org but does not work with 1194, is it possibly with the router itself? what would be another recommended way to remote to your nas other than vpn?

What kind of router do you have? Can you take a screenshot of the port forward rule for openvpn 1194 from your router? Also who is your isp?

Upvote 0
I have a combo modem router (Valerie) provided by Virgin internet - SG4F210008, virgin mobile internet by Bell.

Attachments

• port forward.PNG
    port forward.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0
I have a combo modem router (Valerie) provided by Virgin internet - SG4F210008, virgin mobile internet by Bell.

That looks good, too early to tell if it’s the router. Two more things:

1) is the firewall on the nas on? If so is isp 1194 allowed?

2) contact isp and ask if they’re blocking isp 1194

Upvote 0
firewall turn on, 1194 is allowed, will double check with isp on blockage of port 1194?

Thanks

Attachments

• firewall.PNG
    firewall.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
edited the openvpn config and uploads to openvpn client but do not think openvpn 1194 is open properly

I see you have 443 open. Do your services work for that? If so than the openvpn should be as well. It’s clear cut on the router. The next area is the synology firewall, I know it says vpn but there is 3 or 4 that say the same. Click into it and just make sure that it’s for the correct port. Try rebooting your router and nas. Other than confirming that virgin mobile isn’t blocking the config would be next to look at.

What’s the client machine you’re attempting this with? Are you attempting to connect the vpn from the same network?

Upvote 0
actually, trying to get reverse proxy to work with bitwarden but no, it does not work. Cannot get my duckdns to resolve my ip and cannot reach it with hostname, error connection timeout. rebooted router and nas as well. Waiting on virgin mobile.

Attempting to connect to vpn from another network outside

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.