DSM as server replacement

Currently reading
DSM as server replacement

NAS
DS1621+, DS918, RS812
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi,
First post here: I have a small business with 8 employees with an outdated server running SBS2011. Email and small files are now handled by Microsoft 365 but I'm looking to my DS1621+ with DSM7 to take over not only file shares (for large local GIS files), but active directory. I've set it up with Synology Directory Server and things seem to work for the most part in a test environment. I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction regarding a good setup guide that covers off not only the basics but also help on DNS and security. Ideal such a guide would not only say what to do, but why - I'm on a learning mission.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Mick

Hi, thanks Rusty.
Yes quite a general question - I figured specific questions might be best as separate threads.
I've watched a few youtube videos and I've read through Synology's administrator guide for the DSM7, but often the instruction is either:
a) "do this..." (with no explanation of why), or
b) "this setting allows you to turn such and such function off or on" (with no guidance as to which option is recommended or why).
I was hoping that there may be some good sources of info out there that walked through the set up of a Synology as a business server replacement with a bit more explanation and discussion included.
If nothing else, I was hoping a few people would pop up and say that they had just done what I'm doing and might be able to point out a few pitfalls.
Thanks
Mick

administrator guide for the DSM7
Correct. That's a KB organization for you right there.

I hear what you are after and breaking it down to specific topics might be what you are looking for as we do have some users that might give their insight on the matter at hand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.