DSM unresponsive after updating to DSM7

Currently reading
DSM unresponsive after updating to DSM7

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi,

I recently updated to 7.0.1-42218 (from 6.x) on my DS918+, and ever since the update the DSM will get unresponsive. If I hard reboot my NAS then I am able to connect to and use DSM for a while before it gets unresponsive again. I believe it gets unresponsive as soon as I open the package center, and I also noticed many packages there being stuck on "getting status". I'm thinking this could be connected to the issue? In the patch notes it said that this was a bug that had been fixed but it is still present for me.

Docker containers are still up and running fine even though DSM is completely unresponsive, but Plex Media Server (installed via package manager) will not run anymore. I am also able to navigate via SSH but I am not very familiar with using command line.

Has anyone had similiar issues and know what may be causing it/how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Plex Media Server (installed via package manager) will not run anymore
Has Plex been installed before DSM7 update? Have you done the required migration/update process? Asking as this is not related to your DSM problem, but it might be another problem altogether.

SSH into your NAS and run htop when it stops responding then see if something pops up as suspicious

Has Plex been installed before DSM7 update? Have you done the required migration/update process? Asking as this is not related to your DSM problem, but it might be another problem altogether.

SSH into your NAS and run htop when it stops responding then see if something pops up as suspicious
Thank you for your reply!
Yeah it was installed long before DSM7. I uninstalled it via SSH shortly after my first post but that didn't solve the issue.

I tried running htop as you suggested but I couldnt find anything suspicious, RAM and CPU usage seemed fine atleast. Please note that I'm a bit of a noob so its entirely possible that I missed something.

I also noticed that Virtual Machine Manager needs to be repaired/updated manually after the DSM update, but I am unable to do so via DSM since it becomes unresponsive as soon as I open the package center. Do you think the outdated VMM could be a cause to the issue?

Plex Media Server (installed via package manager) will not run anymore.
Do not use that version. It is broken/outdated. Use only the version from plex.tv. The Plex forum is a good place to start. "ChuckPA" and "trumpy" are the "go to" experts to help transition from DSM6 to 7.

Although, it's not widely know. Plex should be uninstalled prior to updating to DSM7. Even so, all is not lost.

I suggest you to reinstall and fully reconfigure the NAS with the reset method 2 described here.

This procedure don't remove your data, but you will have to recreate the accounts, reconfigure the NAS and reinstall the apps.
I did the reset method 2 like you suggested but as soon as I had re-installed DSM I opened up package center and it became unresponsive again. I can see some packages stuck on "getting status".
I can still do a hard restart and navigate through everything in DSM normally as long as I dont touch the package center.
Any ideas? Are packages not being uninstalled when I reset DSM?

Oh, that's strange. Is your RAID healthy under Storage Manager app?

If yes I suggest to follow this:

Oh, that's strange. Is your RAID healthy under Storage Manager app?
It's healthy but I have a warning for low capacity. About 32TB of my 38TB are used, so I still have 6 TB free space.
If yes I suggest to follow this:
I tried this now but it unfortunately did not help.

The following packages are stuck on "getting status" whenever I open package center:
  • Active Insight
  • File Station
  • Hybrid Share
  • OAuth Service
  • Python2
  • SMB Service
  • SAN Manager
  • Secure SignIn Service
  • Universal Search

Last edited:
After the reset, all your apps was still present?
If you still have the previous Plex app installed, try to uninstall it and restart the NAS.

Your Date & Time is correct?
Also please go to Control Panel => Regional Options, and verify that your Time Zone is correct, Apply. And then click on Update Now.

Eventually, try also to open Security Advisor app, and run a scan, then check if you have some tips to follow.

Only the standard Synology apps were still present, Docker etc were gone. I uninstalled the Plex app via SSH before reinstalling DSM, but the Plex and Docker container data folders still remain.

I verified and updated the time zone but the problem still remains. Btw thanks for all of your suggestions!

I guess I can try reinstalling DSM 6?

Last edited:
In this case I think that is better to open a ticket to the support at Synology Account
To speed up the procedure, you can already attach the logs.

To create the logs:
Open the Support Center app, then Support Services, Log Generator, select all, and click on Generate Logs.

DSM7 is nice, and I don't think that there is an easy downgrade without erasing all the data.

Maybe they will ask you to enable the access to them via Support Center app, in order to let them investigate directly on the NAS. Good luck!

Hi,

I recently updated to 7.0.1-42218 (from 6.x) on my DS918+, and ever since the update the DSM will get unresponsive. If I hard reboot my NAS then I am able to connect to and use DSM for a while before it gets unresponsive again. I believe it gets unresponsive as soon as I open the package center, and I also noticed many packages there being stuck on "getting status". I'm thinking this could be connected to the issue? In the patch notes it said that this was a bug that had been fixed but it is still present for me.

Docker containers are still up and running fine even though DSM is completely unresponsive, but Plex Media Server (installed via package manager) will not run anymore. I am also able to navigate via SSH but I am not very familiar with using command line.

Has anyone had similiar issues and know what may be causing it/how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
I solved this issue by unchecking manual DNS (was set to google 8888).

Symptoms are slow initial login and "getting status" lockup in package center. My guess is to set dns in router if you want specific dns.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.