NAS
220+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello

So as the title suggests, I updated to DSM 7.1.1-42951 despite it being RC due to the number of CVEs it fixed. On updating and rebooting, my Idrive app refuses to log me in and states only 'Host name not resolved'. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, changing the device hostname and changing it back... all kinds of things.
Of course, I've googled this extensively and found only one very old thread from five years ago that doesn't apply any more. I've also reached out to Idrive, but their support are not famous for their reaction times and I'm expecting a copied and pasted answer.

I'd be very grateful for any advice offered, there must be thousands of people who use Idrive on their Synology and also updated to this RC.

Had idrive for many, many years and once in a few updates, the application refused to start, despite working perfectly for long times.
In most cases. It was something with the settings file and this forum might be of use: IDrive Forum » Tag: Synology - Recent Posts

As I am no longer an active idrive user (moved to other clouds), my answer may not help you, but it may give direction. Idrive support was not bad by the way.

Hi. Thanks for replying, but the thread you found is the same one I found. The alleged fixes don't work for me, which isn't surprising as the Idrive app and DSM have changed a lot since 2017! I'll see what Idrive reply with, thanks again.

iDrive was fully broken on 7.1 update 1.I even had their tech's poke around and they were able to resolve it after about 3 hours of poking around on my NAS but when update 2 came out everything they did to fix it didn't work. As a stop gap I took advantage of their introductorily rates for E2 storage and it's been working just fine. I uninstalled iDrive after I got that working.

When update 3 came out I decided to test if they resolved the iDrive issue and it worked, I relinked all my backup storage to new scheduled backups but still get the occasional "No path to host" errors when backup runs I will be terminating iDrive at the renew of my account this fall and sticking with E2 or other Amazon compatible block storage vendors that has cheep storage and works with Hyper Backup.

The problems with 3rd party backups is that they are only file based and don't backup the configurations like Hyper Backup. Also many vendors now are doing Amazon compatible block storage which makes it easy to jump.

I'll see what they say, I've already had an automated 'try reinstalling it' message.

I can afford to wait while they fix it, since Idrive isn't my only backup. It's my off site theft/fire/flood/nuclear armageddon option. I may also look into their E2 offering, since it's a shave cheaper than Backblaze B2.

I met with IDrive development for a remote session early this morning. They added the line:
Code:
$nasURL = "http://127.0.0.1:5000/";
to /volume1/web_packages/IDrive/.config/path.php and it fixed the same error. No further explanation was provided, so I still don't know why patching the system would have caused the error. Regardless, it's fixed now!

@Rod990:
I met with IDrive development for a remote session early this morning. They added the line:
Code:
$nasURL = "http://127.0.0.1:5000/";
to /volume1/web_packages/IDrive/.config/path.php and it fixed the same error. No further explanation was provided, so I still don't know why patching the system would have caused the error. Regardless, it's fixed now!
Could you please describe in more detail where exactly the line of code you mention was added? Best with a few lines above and below and some indication of line number, I'd like to try it myself. Many thanks.

Its on line 1501 in my file. Hopefully this is enough to get you going!

Code:
1494             } else {
1495                 $ip = getSynologyNASIP();
1496                 if($ip == '') {
1497                     $ip = '127.0.0.1';
1498                 }
1500                 $nasURL = $protocol . "://{$ip}" . $contact_port . "/";
1501                 $nasURL = "http://127.0.0.1:5000/";
1502             }
1503         }
1504         else if($machine == ASUSTOR){
1505             $asusConfig = ASUSTOR_INFOCONF;
1506             $contents = file($asusConfig);
1507             $i=0;

Its on line 1501 in my file. Hopefully this is enough to get you going!

Code:
1494             } else {
1495                 $ip = getSynologyNASIP();
1496                 if($ip == '') {
1497                     $ip = '127.0.0.1';
1498                 }
1500                 $nasURL = $protocol . "://{$ip}" . $contact_port . "/";
1501                 $nasURL = "http://127.0.0.1:5000/";
1502             }
1503         }
1504         else if($machine == ASUSTOR){
1505             $asusConfig = ASUSTOR_INFOCONF;
1506             $contents = file($asusConfig);
1507             $i=0;
Thanks a lot, this did the trick. Unfortunately, I changed the default port, so now I will have another place to modify manually if they ever update the iDrive package - but perhaps they will fix it by then :)

I have the same iDrive problem, but need help on saving the path.php file. Logged into NAS as an administrator, opened file in Text Editor. Made changes and then saved file. Closed file, then reopened the file to check the changes, no changes. Clearly I am not doing something right. Can someone point me in the right direction on making the changes.

I had the same problem with saving changes. I solved that by creating a copy of the file with another name, edited that and then renamed both files as needed - that was allowed.

I made the modifications as suggested. Although I can now reach the "Authenticate your Synology device" page as before, once authenticated I get a second page stating that I've been "redirected too many times" and to "clear my cookies" (which does nothing). The only thing that I have enabled on my Synology NAS is 2FA and I'm curious if this might be causing the additional issue. Does anyone else have 2FA enabled, and if so, does this work around work for you?

iDrive helped me create this PHP file.
<?php

$custPortVal = isset($argv[1])?$argv[1]:5000;
$fileSrc = '/var/services/web_packages/IDrive/.config/';
file_put_contents($fileSrc."cron.txt","chmod 777 ".$fileSrc."path.php");
sleep(3);

$changeReq = 'getSynologyNASIP();
$cusPort = '.$custPortVal.';
$port = ($port == "")?$cusPort:$port;
$contact_port = ":".$port;';

$changeAt = '/getSynologyNASIP\(\)\;/i';

$existingContent=file_get_contents($fileSrc."path.php");
$updatedContent = preg_replace($changeAt, $changeReq, $existingContent);
file_put_contents($fileSrc."path.php", $updatedContent);

echo "Updated changes for Login Issue.";
?>
Saved it to this file name hostNameIssueFix.php om the file location that you can see below.
You can then run this in Task Scheduler, as an example. 5000 is my DSM Port(HTTP) which is the default.
php /var/services/web_packages/IDrive/hostNameIssueFix.php 5000

iDrive helped me create this PHP file.
<?php

$custPortVal = isset($argv[1])?$argv[1]:5000;
$fileSrc = '/var/services/web_packages/IDrive/.config/';
file_put_contents($fileSrc."cron.txt","chmod 777 ".$fileSrc."path.php");
sleep(3);

$changeReq = 'getSynologyNASIP();
$cusPort = '.$custPortVal.';
$port = ($port == "")?$cusPort:$port;
$contact_port = ":".$port;';

$changeAt = '/getSynologyNASIP\(\)\;/i';

$existingContent=file_get_contents($fileSrc."path.php");
$updatedContent = preg_replace($changeAt, $changeReq, $existingContent);
file_put_contents($fileSrc."path.php", $updatedContent);

echo "Updated changes for Login Issue.";
?>
Saved it to this file name hostNameIssueFix.php om the file location that you can see below.
You can then run this in Task Scheduler, as an example. 5000 is my DSM Port(HTTP) which is the default.
php /var/services/web_packages/IDrive/hostNameIssueFix.php 5000
Did this work for you? iDrive support gave me the same script. Although it solved the 'Host name not resolved' error I now get a "too many redirects" error after authenticating to the Synology NAS.

This did work for me. Sorry. If you want, we can connect and compare system setups. I am a home user of the DS220+, and I am still getting used to managing this device.

This did work for me. Sorry. If you want, we can connect and compare system setups. I am a home user of the DS220+, and I am still getting used to managing this device.
That's very kind of you. I think it might have something to do with two factor authentication. I have it enabled on my Synology NAS which worked perfectly with iDrive before the 7.1.1 update . I'm curious do you have 2FA enabled on yours.

I may be wrong but when looking into the code it seems to me that instead of HTTPS and port 5001 being used, this change will make HTTP and port 5000 being used. May the security be compromised by this?

After about 45 days of running with no issues iDrive after their last "patch" to the code it seems to have an issue with connecting to server. Can't even get access to my files via their portal. I opened a ticket yesterday. I am down to 3 months left on this subscription but I will not renew. This is what I see on their portal:

1671192581328.png

Just an update. Same thing, new DS1522+, went to install iDrive and it wouldn't let me authenticate without having to fix this. Seems like a pretty easy update to the application for the development team. I see this was posted initially on 8/22/2022 four months ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.