Currently reading
Question DSM WOL

NAS
RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Has anyone setup their NAS for WOL over the internet, and do we know what port number DSM would use for WOL? I was able to WOL over the local network however I'm striking out over the internet. I do have experience with setting up port forwards since I have a win 10 (used as file server) that I am able to wake over the internet. I would also assume that the firewall in DSM needs to have a rule in place; I tried this as well with no success.

Has anyone setup their NAS for WOL over the internet, and do we know what port number DSM would use for WOL? I was able to WOL over the local network however I'm striking out over the internet. I do have experience with setting up port forwards since I have a win 10 (used as file server) that I am able to wake over the internet. I would also assume that the firewall in DSM needs to have a rule in place; I tried this as well with no success.
Does this mean that your NAS is unable to wake up at all when you try it over Internet? Can you share some more details on the apps/services running on your NAS? How would you try and "wake" up the NAS?

Correct, can't wake over the internet. Using either DS Finder on IOS app or WOL Magic Packet Sender from a Win 10 computer. I have a dynamic address that is used, and confirmed working since I'm able to wake a win 10 computer. I confirmed MAC address in WOL Mag. Pack. Sender is correct, since I am also able to wake locally.

Using NAS for shared folders and VPN server. I do have it also acting as a DHCP server; NAS is statically assigned. I could see an issue if the NAS had been off for an extended period of time, but I am shutting down and trying within the few seconds its offline.

If you're able to WOL through the internet, which port are you using? There is nothing in DSM where you can assign this port or states what DSM is listening for.

Using NAS for shared folders and VPN server
So if you are using it as a VPN server, how are you having it exposed then? Considering you are using a dynamic IP (guessing WAN IP address), how is your VPN server configured for access?

We use OpenVPN and will connect to it on demand using OpenVPN app on win 10 computer. When the client on win 10 computer opens the openvpn app, it is configured using Synology's DDNS name.

The VPN is only for other members to vpn into the network so they can initiate a remote desktop session, to other desktops on the LAN.

Https is available, I use that to connect to DSM via web browser. I'm going to try the HTTPS ports, it seems that when the NAS is turned off the port forwards disappeared. Looks like the router/NAS was using upnp assign ports on the router.

With the recent power losses due to storms, I attempted to wake the NAS when power was restored. I had thought this was working but quickly found out it wasn't. As a result I am power off the nas to test WOL remotely, since that is not work atm (only local waking is working).

That was just to get the sense of how you use the nas in general. But considering that it is turned off, then using the magic package will be the only way for sure. Now that you are saying that it works locally it only means that accessing it over the web is most likely blocked but firewall/port forward missing.

Once you are certain it might be worth to mark this topic solved as well as give just a few steps about how you are exactly waking up your nas over the web (app in usage, port, configuration etc). It might help others on the forum as well.

Ofc if you are up for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.