DSM 7.1 DSM7.1 introduces new drive vendor-locking parameters

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 DSM7.1 introduces new drive vendor-locking parameters

@jeyare - I tried both. The first option stops DSM from sampling the Estimated lifespan value displayed on the DSM GUI and rather than the inverted % value it shows a - instead. The second retains the Estimated lifespan value but changes the value to 0% triggering the Damaged / Critical warnings. It did not move the VALUE_WORST to RAW_VALUE.

I've run the default settings since, then went back to the first option as at least it stops the near-constant email alerts.

As said, the key thing learned is that the incorrect drivedb from Synology does have an influence on the false warnings and that the effect can be changed by varying the drivedb.db itself.

☕

WD 2nd support statement:

WD Blue is intended to be used in personal computers. As such the approved WD Tool to review the health of the SSD is the WD Dashboard. WD Dashboard has its own Wearout indicator interpretation which in the dashboard interface is mentioned as Life Remaining.
As we can see in the screenshots the Life Remaining is set correctly to 99%.
It is true however that the wearout indicator is counted backwards in your scenario as explained in our knowledge base article https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/12163.
The wearout should indeed decline from 100 to 1 with 1 being the worst possible value.
I would therefore assume that this is a fault in the particular SSD, most likely a faulty sensor giving the wrong binary data. If this is causing you troubles we will be more than happy to replace it for you however keep in mind that using this SSD on a NAS is not recommended; We have a specific product line called WD RED SSDs intended for NAS usage. (https://www.westerndigital.com/en-ie/products/internal-drives/wd-red-sata-2-5-ssd#WDS500G1R0A)

So, following the WD support statement, there is the official WD SMART Attributes list:

Section 1: Custom WD S.M.A.R.T Attributes
No MWI is described there = no custom algorithm invented by WD

WD Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.)

and reused general SMART Attributes list:

Section 2: Standard S.M.A.R.T Attributes
incl. MWI description

2330xE9 Media Wearout Indicator (SSDs) :
Intel SSDs report a normalized value from 100, a new drive, to a minimum of 1. It decreases while the NAND erase cycles increase from 0 to the maximum-rated cycles.
No "ideal" value is described there.
WD Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.)

Conclusion:
Based on this statement - WD for any (their) SSDs and MWI attribute use official Standard S.M.A.R.T Attributes.
it means - they don't customize the MWI attribute
it means MWI Normalized Value algorithm must be fixed and not variable per firmware or SSD range = 100, a new drive, to a minimum of 1
I don't get the answer, that:
I would therefore assume that this is a fault in the particular SSD, most likely a faulty sensor giving the wrong binary data.
just in this thread, it was almost 20 pcs of such drives found

or use google for:
WD blue media wear-out indicator value issue .... 569,000 results

Somewhat odd that WD suggests 'faulty sensor' on an individual SSD when it reports correctly to other tools. In this case it would have to be a simultaneous failure on 6 SSDs, that span different batches with differing age and usage. They all share the same firmware load though - the latest version published.

☕

At least I can make the health status all green again by preventing the DSM call-up of the MWI parameters; but is temporary and will not persist through a DSM update. Stops all the fatalistic emails from the NAS though and turns the front panel LEDs green again:

2022-06-06 at 14.24.20.png

☕

Hi, I just registered here as I have exactly the same problem.
I run the vi command to rename drivedb.db attribute to bogus one, but nothing happened in the Storage Manager.
Do I need to reboot NAS, change or do something else for this change to take an effect?

Hi, I just registered here as I have exactly the same problem.
I run the vi command to rename drivedb.db attribute to bogus one, but nothing happened in the Storage Manager.
Do I need to reboot NAS, change or do something else for this change to take an effect?

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you need to restart. I've not found a way of picking up the changes without one; well, not yet.

I went with:

-v 230,hex48,Disabled_Media_Wearout_Ind

Just to remind me what I have done.

2022-06-07 at 18.01.05.png

☕

Thanks, it worked! 🍻🍻🍻
Naturally I created ticket with both Synology and WD support. While response time is ok (1 day), solutions were not :ROFLMAO:
Synology support suggested I update drive db (which I already did), and WD support suggested I replace the drives :ROFLMAO:

I guess the forum reply was a fair bit quicker!

The Synology response is par the course - you were lucky that you offered any advice other than buying their own drives. Hope you keep pressing Synology and WD, otherwise we will never get a proper fix.

Were you a forum lurker or did you just stumble on this site via Google?

☕

Haha true :) I stumbled upon this forum searching for solutions.
I am really frustrated with Synology. Basically half a year ago I moved from DS213j to DS720+. I had WD Reds 2x 4Tb and moved them to a new NAS. Then I got a great deal on WD Blue 4TB SSDs and bought a pair to replace fairly old Reds.
I was thinking this is going to be easy, pop-out one Red, replace it with SSD, repair the storage pool, and do it again for the second one.
Oh boy, I was wrong. I couldn’t add different type of drive to a storage pool (combine HDD and SSD), so I had to create another storage pool, move everything to it (including some “hacking” to move packages to new volume), and then delete first storage pool, pop-out second HDD and put in another SSD.
While I was thinking it’s finally over, I will just add second SSD to a newly created storage pool, because of this stupid issue, Synology didn’t allow me to add SSD with “criticial” health to a storage pool 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Proposal for the final test:
1. try to revert the original value of the attribute name to the value that caused the error in reading Value (Media_Warout_Indicator)
2. at the same time rename the attribute ID '-v 230' to '-v 245'
like this:
"-v 245,hex48,Media_Wearout_Indicator "
3. Check what's on the DSM GUI

Second test:
use this one entry:
"-v 230,hex48:012345,Media_Wearout_Indicator "

send the results

which one from the two proposed solutions was tested with this outcome?

Rename the attribute:
-v 230,hex48,Bogus_Media_Wearout_Ind

or

Move VALUE WORST to RAW_VALUE:
-v 230,hex64,Media_Wearout_Indicator
I applied "-v 230,hex48,Bogus_Media_Wearout_Ind" to my /var/lib/smartmontools/drivedb.db file under the WD Blue / Red / Green SSDs section

1654733022171.png

After restarting, my 6 "failing" drives are happy again and I'm satisfied insofar as I don't feel like my NAS is going to spontaneously combust or something.

I would really like for Syno to fix DSM and make this right. Forcing end users to make changes at this level on what is and should be an appliance is unacceptable. How they handle stuff like this is strongly influences my recommendation (or lack thereof) of their equipment going forward.

@foxgroo - Have you opened a ticket with Synology Support?

☕
My initial ticket was rebuffed as the entirety of the 2.5" WD SSD compatibility matrix for the FS1018 is "Ultrastar DC SA210" drives which are not what is installed in my unit. I knew this when I added them and DSM complained about compatibility and I sent a request to Synology to at least classify them (supported or not) on the matrix.

Since I knew the drives themselves were not faulting and had 99+% lifespan remaining after testing with WDs tools and they were excluded under the explicit support carveout of providing no support for "Using devices, including but not limited to drive, memory module, and PCIe card, which are not listed in the Synology Compatibility List" I did not pursue it further.

I'm just really annoyed with this breaking change and their general indifference about it. I had bought Synology to have a set and forget type product but apparently that is too much to ask for.

I can put on my Linux hat and screw around with it occasionally to keep it happy or at least functional. I'm just grateful to the community members who are running this down and finding workarounds in the meantime.

the core problem of the SMART integration in Synology is:
- really old smartmontools build
- search within drivedb.db by Attribute Name instead Attribute ID
When:
Attribute ID is INT
Attribute Name is CHAR (23 characters max)
and just one small change in the Attribute Name will kill entire operation of the Pool or healing it

How they can operate such challenge:
  • Seagate uses "-v 231,hex56,SSD_Life_Left " - dif. ID and NAME for MWI
  • Smart general table contains: "-v 233, raw48, Media_Wearout_Indicator, SSD"
  • Intel also uses "-v 233, raw48, Media_Wearout_Indicator, SSD"
  • same for Samsung
  • WD 230, hex48

Just curious:
is here some SSD used in any Syno NAS, which has supported “Device Statistics” (SMART feat.)?
Bash:
smartctl -x /dev/sd<x> | grep "Device Statistics"
# status of support
#
# or directly
#
smartctl -l devstat /dev/sd<x>

Just a quick note for anybody trying this solution.

I did the rename option "Bogus_Media_Wearout_Ind" and rebooted my NAS. Tried to re-add/re-build but was still failing.

I had to re-run the SMART tests (both quick and extended) and reboot again before it would allow me to re-add the drives.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.