DSM7– Are MIGRATION Jitters Justified?

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi All…

As a SynoNAS noob I want to begin hosting videos that I produce. I want to share links with friends and family — but don’t want to utilize YouTube.

DSM6 is up to date on my DS220+. I use it mainly for local TimeMachine backup and storage of a few large files. I’ve installed No packages so far but want to soon.

Couple Questions:

1) Is a fairly straightforward upgrade from DSM6 to 7 gonna be *mostly/entirely trouble free* — if I faithfully follow the most current upgrade guidance from Synology?

2) Should I install PLEX and other desired packages BEFORE or after the move to DSM7… or does the order of package installation vs. DSM upgrade even matter that much?

Thanks for your collective wisdom, in advance. John… in Denver

1) Is a fairly straightforward upgrade from DSM6 to 7 gonna be *mostly/entirely trouble free* — if I faithfully follow the most current upgrade guidance from Synology?
Welcome to the forum! Good to have you with us!

6 > 7 upgrade will be smooth in any case as there is little that should go wrong. Having no apps will only make it faster and more smooth.

2) Should I install PLEX and other desired packages BEFORE or after the move to DSM7… or does the order of package installation vs. DSM upgrade even matter that much?
General idea is to make sure that apps are compatible with the destination OS. In the case of Synology official apps, there is no problem, as those that are no longer compatible are usually deprecated and/or replaced with new solutions.

However, when it comes to Plex, migration from 6 to 7 is not straightforward. If you haven't installed Plex then do it after you update to DSM7. If, on the other hand, you have installed it on DSM6, then you will have to follow an update process that will be divided partially into tasks on DSM6, and the rest on DSM7, once you upgrade.

More details here - PLEX migration with DSM 7

Thanks Rusty and Coop777,

The jitters are subsiding. It’s just time to do the work!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.