Status
Not open for further replies.
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all!

I just received my ds1621+ and going to start from scratch, so no other synology settings to import etc. I use it at this point only a file server, with smb, nfs and also time machine. Maybe moments/photos.
How reliable is dsm7? Should I go with it or stick with dsm6?
Give me your opinions! 😀

Have fun ... it's a great machine. I have been running mine for a few months now ... I would stick with DSM 6.23. I would avoid NFS and make sure AFP is enabled since you're planning on using it for a Time Machine. I would make sure it is set to SHR for disk management.

Thx for suggestion! Yes, I agree, it's great little machine! Why avoid NFS? I'm going to use it with VMware ESXi and Proxmox trough NFS.
I also plan to use Time Machine via smb only, so no need for AFP...

How reliable is dsm7? Should I go with it or stick with dsm6?
Its ok for now, but I would wait for a bit more. If Syno will stick to its schedule, we should be getting a new beta version now in February. After that, 2 more months we might see 1st RC coming out. So it's still a way off.

Its ok for now, but I would wait for a bit more. If Syno will stick to its schedule, we should be getting a new beta version now in February. After that, 2 more months we might see 1st RC coming out. So it's still a way off.
Ok. I think I wait at this time to next beta and think it again then.

I don't see the urgency to "upgrade" unless there is a must-have feature. Truth be told, you may be better served waiting for v7.1 as even v7.0 is apt to be buggy (the beta users are a very small subset of all users), if history repeats.

SMB doesn't support the same filenames that AFP does ... also my reading of blogs is that NFS is not as robust as SMB.

Apple likes to remind us that AFP is officially depreciated and really should not be used with modern versions of macOS. Apple pushes the use of SMB 2 or preferably SMB 3, even for Time Machine use.

There are no drawbacks in using SMB for TM these days - macOS can send and receive network ADD broadcasts [_adisk._tcp.] for Time Machine on both IPv4 and IPv6 (Port 9) SMB-only networks, so automatic device discovery works perfectly and arguably better than it did in the AFP days.

Synology DSM 6.2 also dutifully broadcasts and receives the appropriate Apple ADD advertisements on SMB. I have 2 TM-capable Synology NASes on my network using SMB-only and the correct Time Machine Storage flags can be seen on the mDNS / Bonjour WiFi snapshot below:

Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 17.28.14.png

I went straight forward DSM7, didn’t seem to make sense wasting time learning the old version with the new one imminent.

I went straight forward DSM7, didn’t seem to make sense wasting time learning the old version with the new one imminent.
Fair point, but you will have to tackle certain things until all apps/services that tuned for DSM7. The current beta will (I guess) soon end and we might get another one before the official release. Spring/summer should be the time period the official version comes out, but it won't surprise me if it gets pushed to an even later date considering how long we have waited on the 1st private beta and this public one.

So it might be some time until we actually get the "golden" version

Fair point, but you will have to tackle certain things until all apps/services that tuned for DSM7. The current beta will (I guess) soon end and we might get another one before the official release. Spring/summer should be the time period the official version comes out, but it won't surprise me if it gets pushed to an even later date considering how long we have waited on the 1st private beta and this public one.

So it might be some time until we actually get the "golden" version
I mean it’s not a production work server, though it’s stable enough and I haven’t seen any issues. I’d put it in a production environment that was well backed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.