DSM7 upgrade gone wrong

Currently reading
DSM7 upgrade gone wrong

Hi...

I have successfully upgraded two NAS to DSM 7. This morning it was the turn of my main NAS. End result: no access.

The initial upgrade went fine, I could login. After some initial random checks that things were good, I turned to my first objective that is to upgrade my Plex installation. The first step of this is to reboot the NAS.

Just prior to reboot, I noticed that the main menu in DSM was not showing any images, although functionality appeared normal. So I rebooted.

Now I have no access to DSM, inside or outside the network. I cannot ping the Synology either, although I do see it on the Unifi client list. The Status light is green, the LAN lights are flashing. find.synology.com finds nothing. I cannot ssh in.
I fear this upgrade has introduced a new firewall rule to block all access... Ridiculous. Other ideas?

thank you.

Well, Mode 1 reset is done and I now have access. I now have to set up the many firewall entries that I didn't copy down before the update to DSM 7.
A nasty surprise from Synology there...

Brilliant.
-- post merged: --

Do you use Auto-Block? If you do, can you try accessing the NAS from a different LAN IP?

Alternatively there are the rest options using the hardware button on the back of the NAS. These reset parameters that then should allow you to access the NAS.
Hi fredbert,

Yes, I had tried different IPs, to no avail. I do not believe it. I didn't want to spend my day on this...

I feel your pain.

I've not investigated but surely the FW rules are saved in a configuration file somewhere, and should be possible to extract from a DSM configuration backup. The idea being, if nothing else, you'd have the text of the spec of the rules.

SSH'ing onto my DSM 7 NAS and I see /usr/syno/etc/firewall.d has .json files that look like my rules.

I feel your pain.

I've not investigated but surely the FW rules are saved in a configuration file somewhere, and should be possible to extract from a DSM configuration backup. The idea being, if nothing else, you'd have the text of the spec of the rules.

SSH'ing onto my DSM 7 NAS and I see /usr/syno/etc/firewall.d has .json files that look like my rules.
Yes, you must be right. However, a busy week ahead and this has to be done today (a day off, fortunately!) so I'm redoing them. I did have a picture of them actually, but of course out of date!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.