Currently reading
Dual 1Gbps Ethernet / Link Aggregation

NAS
DS214play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
If NAS and several of the PC's which will be accessing it all have dual 1Gbps ethernet adapters, does it make sense to set up link aggregation for better speed? Has anyone played with this on their NAS?

Just purchased a new 923+, and primary computers with which it will be used are all Dell Precisions with dual ethernet, but presently only connected as single. Needing a new desktop ethernet switch for higher port count anyway, so thinking of getting a managed switch that can support port aggregation (802.3ad) may make sense, here.

Ironically, there are at least some claims out there that link aggregation actually slows individual connections on some hardware, due to increased overhead. However, even in cases where this occurs on individual links, they've found that access or transfer speeds were improved for cases where multiple users were accessing the NAS simultaneously.

In my case, I'm probably more concerned with individual speed, which depending on how Synology's dual ethernet (and my switch) handle the overhead, may not actually favor the link aggregation. We're not having a huge problem with our PC->NAS backup times, which is probably the only time when I have several users simultaneously hitting the NAS real hard, the times when multiple interactive users are hitting the NAS simultaneously is probably very low.

Link aggregation is not designed to speed up Single devices. Only multiple file requests/transfers can be handled simultaneously. You can imagine it as a highway with one lane, where a second one is added. But maximum speed remains 100km/h so your car does not arrive faster at destination.

You can try to enable the relatively new SMB Multichannel technique that has become relatively easy to set up in Windows so you can saturate both links for a single file transfer.
Anyway you need double wiring to and from the devices to the nas.

Thanks, EAZ! Never heard of SMB Multichannel. Will read up on that.

Nice! So, I could enable this on the NAS, and on any Windows PC that has the dual NICs, and this would be a nice boost in transfer speed. The article doesn't really mention impact on all of the other machines accessing the NAS, which may not have dual NICs, such as laptops and smart TV's, but I'm guessing it's nil.

For anyone following along, here's a link on how to enable SMB in Win10/11:

The 923+ has an expansion slot that supports a PCI-E 10GBE network adapter. If you have the budget, that would be a longer term faster solution. (note that all connected devices on the network have to support 10GBE and you'll need a minimum of Cat 6a cabling).

Definitely. None of my computers have 10Gbps Ethernet, and I just ordered a new 1Gbps managed switch, but none of those things are insurmountable obstacles. Looks like the 10Gpbs card from Synology runs about $240, and PCIe adapters are only $70 - $90, and switches $200 - $300. The biggest obstacles would be the laptops, which are presently running on portable docks (eg. Dell D6000), with fixed internal 10Gb ethernet adapters.

If I wanted to do just my main workstation, which is primarily for business but could also make one heck of a photo sorting machine, it'd be a $600 upgrade. Not terrible, if the network connection really turns out to be the bottleneck in that process.

I'm just digging into DSM7's new photo sorting AI, as this whole issue may become less important. I'm still sorting photos either manually, or using scripts to segregate them by date, before then manually adding the names of the subjects to each dated folder. It seemed like a great way to do it, when I started sorting my digital photos in the 1990's, but with maybe 10k photos waiting to be sorted, and many 10's of thousands total now... I'm due to find a better system.

An alternative, is an inexpensive USB 3, 2.5Gbit adapter, they work well on good cat 5e cable.
There's a git hub page with drivers and instructions, you'll find it with a search.

That's an idea, but since reliability for business is probably my no.1 priority, I'm apprehensive to try any drivers anyone has posted to Github. I'm willing to try 3rd party RAM or NVMe, esp. that others have already tested and confirmed compatibility, but would like to stick with the OEM software and drivers.

I actually already bought and received a new 8-port managed switch, which will give me the space to do the dual cabling between the switch and both the NAS and my primary workstation, so I can play with SMB Multichannel.

Just a note: Be very careful of USB-based 2.5Gbps adapters. Mine works, but I'm on DSM6. DSM7 breaks some implementations. Also the more heavily the system is under load, the worse throughput you'll get with a USB-based adapter. I know. Sucks. But there it is.

Other than that, I love mine! I use Plugable 2.5G USB-C adapters on all my Synology and Mac machines. Plug-and-play on the Macs. (Amazon ASIN: B084L4JL9K).

So, here's something embarrassing. While each of my recent past Dell Precision workstations have had dual 1Gbps ports on the motherboard, I just went to wire this one up to my new switch, and learned it has only one! It's been maybe 10 years since I've seen a Dell Precision T7600 or up with just a single Ethernet port, so I was surprised.

That means that there's little benefit of me running SMB Multichannel on the NAS, as there's no single fast client on the LAN to take advantage of it. Maybe we're back to port aggregating, as I believe that at least provides the advantage of serving multiple clients at once, but that does hurt single-client performance. More likely than not just running a single 1 Gbps cable is the best option, if I'm not going to drop $600 on going full 10 Gbps between NAS and client.

Transferring about 41 GB of music between old NAS and new right now, and it's done 162 GB / 34 min ~ 0.79 Gbps at 10 b/B, assuming some parity and start/stop bits. Not sure if I'm coming in short of 1.0 Gbps due to other network traffic on the NAS, or just disk speed, but I'm not too worried.

... and now I'm getting 87.4 MBps ~ .874 Gbps, again assuming ~10b net per 1B on disk, moving larger video files. I'm guessing the slower speed previously was due to random access of smaller files.

Have you tried disabling IPV6 on the 923+?
nope. But I'm not using the above speeds as the basis for anything, either. It's likely the bottleneck was random read speed of my old DS214play, from which the data was coming, as anything else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.