Currently reading
Question DVD or BDR Backup?

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Does anyone still backup their data on DVD or BDR Disks. But are these still a practical way to store data?

It will take 80 BDR 25GB disk or 40 BDR 50GB disk or 16 128GB BDR-XL to store my 2TB of data.
If an EMP were to be nation or world wide, even the cloud would be rendered useless. Or is the cloud protected against EMPs?

DVDs are susceptible to deterioration. I still have a bundle of blanks that I bought years ago, and the only recent use I've had is for creating boot disks as a backup for disk image restores. All of my important data is backed up on NAS, with a few things encrypted in commercial clouds.

In the event of EMP, I doubt I'll be concerned with data recovery.

Last edited:
You can use off-site cloud storage to backup important data: hopefully that EMP will not be pan-regional.

I use Hyper Backup with Synology C2 Backup at their European datacentre in Germany: far enough away from UK; has better local data privacy laws. I've limited this backup to photos and other important personal information that can't be recovered by other means, and exclude what I can live without (which is not the same as don't mind losing). The C2 backup vault is encrypted from the NAS.

If there is an EMP then there'll be very few systems left with which you'll be using your data. At least for a while.

You could select your important data and write that to optical media: will probably be much less than you think. Then post it to your elderly, non-Internet connected relative/friend [is that just me in this situation?]. Of course it'll be perfectly safe there as they won't remember where they put it.

Im happy with my replication to a detached garage, very unlikely for both buildings to be totally destroyed by fire as they far enough apart. I suppose they could both be destroyed by a big explosion or similar, but in that case I'd have bigger problems. Photos to cloud backup, onedrive and sugarsync.

Joseb: Your question got me thinking wrt long term data storage as a backup to a NAS. While I do not offer any answers or suggestions, I think it may offer some interesting discussions and thoughts from the learned members here.

Personally I try not to use cloud storage, although with iPhones, iPad, etc., I do use iCloud for up to 5GB storage. Rightly or wrongly, I feel that the many offerings of Cloud storage, especially those that are free, come with the knowledge that many will scan your data for their own benefit. ('There is no such thing as a free meal'...) Also my use is for personal, home, use; I appreciate that many, if not the majority of NAS users back up their professional work data.

Looking at longer term storage, e.g. 1, 2, 5, 10 years, what are the options for NAS users? DVD, BDR, SSD, HDD, Cloud, others? (I think paper tape, if anybody remembers that, can be omitted); Any thoughts as to preferred or recommended methods for different types of user? Also, perhaps, where to store? Garage or workshop; partition on a friends NAS; Secure lockup... Storage environmental effects may/will be important, too.

HDD is the winner, reasons:
- no need arrange super complicated Archive backup as in case of plastics media
- for few times of usage per year and just pure sequential recording the lifespan is over 10years
- when some will change SATA interface you can still use adapter for a connection to “future” device. Then no need keep all device as DVD or BR recorder to be able handle the Archive (in/out).
- scratched plastic media you can’t repair. There is list of more choices how to for the magnetic media repair.
..... etc

Avoid SSD.

HDD is the winner, reasons:
- no need arrange super complicated Archive backup as in case of plastics media
- for few times of usage per year and just pure sequential recording the lifespan is over 10years
- when some will change SATA interface you can still use adapter for a connection to “future” device. Then no need keep all device as DVD or BR recorder to be able handle the Archive (in/out).
- scratched plastic media you can’t repair. There is list of more choices how to for the magnetic media repair.
..... etc

Avoid SSD.
Hi, thanks for getting to me. My main concern is an EMP. I have a lot of copies, backups of all my 2TB already. I will continue to burn them to BDR, just in case. I heard that M-Disk are suppose to last 1,000 years. I will settle for 100, LOL. Thanks again.

EMP: Protection against that will be interesting. I have been involved in EMP protection for defence related test systems over many years. The danger is that you have a steel case/ Faraday cage full of BDRs, but no reader or computer - or virtually anything electronic to use them on, unless all that equipment is inside the cage. (All electrical connections, e.g. power sources, into and out of the cage need to be protected...)

Still, post EMP, you could end up using them as bird scarers, as I did with loads of the CDs that came free over years with magazines.

EMP: Protection against that will be interesting. I have been involved in EMP protection for defence related test systems over many years. The danger is that you have a steel case/ Faraday cage full of BDRs, but no reader or computer - or virtually anything electronic to use them on, unless all that equipment is inside the cage. (All electrical connections, e.g. power sources, into and out of the cage need to be protected...)

Still, post EMP, you could end up using them as bird scarers, as I did with loads of the CDs that came free over years with magazines.
Thanks for getting back to me. You are right. But I don't assume that one EMP will keep people from creating new computers, equipment after the EMP. So it's good to have your information, files ready for that day.

after heavy EMP we will start from scratch, because everything’s needs electronic devices, then everything will be destroyed, because physics. Even electricity transport network needs electronic devices for a regulation.
Then no need backup for such disaster area, because this civilization isn’t ready for a stone age.
but all of us have some deviation from normal. then what is normal? :cool:
fingers crossed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.