DX1215 Expansion way to control LEDs / power off?

Currently reading
DX1215 Expansion way to control LEDs / power off?

NAS
DS3018xs & DX1215 RAID6
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Hello, recently picked up a DX1215 expansion unit and I can find a way to dim the LEDs or power this unit off while leaving my main DS3018xs still running.

Curious if anyone figured this one out. Perhaps I'm just missing something.

Cheers!

I don't have experience with that model - however my understanding of this with other NAS models is that by design, once the expansion cabinet is connected to the source NAS, its power button and individual control is disabled. This would be to prevent accidental (and potentially catastrophic) loss of data if an array were spanned across it (which is not a good idea to begin with). It is now controlled by the source NAS - it powers down and up with the NAS itself.

Yes I set up a new volume on the DX1215 and don't have much backed up just yet. I was just thinking I could power it down via DMS control panel. Odd that my LED schedule does not apply to the external unit. It seems like it should work.

Odd that my LED schedule does not apply to the external unit. It seems like it should work
Nothing helpful to add, but I agree that is seems odd that the expansion unit isn't fully controlled by the NAS.

I have a USB hub with blinding LEDs, my solution has been electrical tape with a pin-hole to allow a little light through. But why have a power button if it's overridden by the NAS?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.