DS1621+, DS1821+, DS1520+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Note: Numerous studies have determined that Hard Drive life is directly proportional to the average operating temperature. Per one manufacturer: The condition that has the biggest impact on the life of a hard drive is temperature. Heat decreases the life of the hard drive head. A 5 °C increase in temperature could reduce the life of a hard drive by as much as two years (25%).

That being established, I like to keep my NAS HDDs at 90-95°F (32-35°C) or no more than 10-15°F above an ambient 78-80°F (25-28°C). I achieve this temperature by having my 3 Synology NASs-Fan Speed Full (and Switches etc.) in a self-made 4 foot high (25U) 19-inch rack (with a Homasote noise insulation outside layer) and having the NAS/other heat ported to the outside (cost $50 - parts list/pictures coming soon - versus commercial open rack $250 w/no hardware/shelves or noise insulation).

I was amazed when I installed a DX517 (added to my DS1821+) that temperatures of the 5 HDDs (after running for only 10 minutes) was 105-115°F (40-46°C). With no way to change the fan speed.

Note for Synology: $500 for a DX517 is a ridiculous price for a product with this MAJOR DESIGN FLAW - making the buyer jury rig a fix for the issue is inexcusable.

That being said, I went about figuring out a way to lower the HDD temps in the DX517 without physically altering the DX517.

My solution was to make a way to have additional fans at the rear of the DX517 draw air through the DX517 and out via the outside exhaust vent.

Two 120mm fans side-by-side are almost exactly the same width as the DX517 (see pictures below). I made an open-ended box out of semi-hard foam sheets hot glued together. The 2x120mm fans can also be hot glued together (hot glue can easily be removed for fan replacement). The foam sides/top/bottom sheets surround/hold the 2x120mm fans in place (directed so air blows outward). The box fits/seals around the rear outside of the DX517. The foam box is long enough to create a space between the rear of the DX517 and the fans to allow for cable routing - small holes/slats can be made in the foam sides (during construction) for cables.

DX517.Extra.Fans.2x.120mm_Rear.View.sml.jpg

DX517.Fix.sm.jpg

RESULTS - 5 hours after boot/constant usage:
22121800.png

I did something similar on my Dell XPS 1702X laptop when I started using it to render BlueRay discs..... It was OK doing DVD's, but BR's bandwidth over worked the cooling system.... CPU throttled, but still overheated...
A fan pulling heat out worked... Took a while making a bracket such that fan could be removed for portable use.
You gotta do what you gotta do!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back