E10M20-T1 compatibility with older NAS devices

Currently reading
E10M20-T1 compatibility with older NAS devices

NAS
DS3617xs
Operating system
  1. Linux
Hi, A while back I raised a ticket with Synology support regarding why the E10M20-T1 card doesn't show as a compatible piece of hardware I have (DS3617xs)

I can easily say at this point that the reply I had, I was less than impressed with, where the person simply pointed me to the same compatibility list I can manage to find myself.

Anyway, the burning question for me really is why does Synology launch a product that is compatible with newer versions of a NAS box, some may even argue, consumer rated devices like the 6x and 8x bays, but for slightly longer-standing customers that have a slightly older piece of kit, we are left to hang.

Can't say I had many bad complaints about Synology as a whole until now, but the launch of this card was a much-awaited piece of kit, and having it not as an option for the hardware I have here is, to say the least, a huge frustration, and to the point where no one has really explained why this is the case?

Does anyone here has had any better success in getting more out of their support people?

thank you

Hello. I didnt.. same here, I had a lot of customers which wanted to update their older NAS with E10M20-T1 card and had no success with that. ASked about it and still no answer.
Theres another thing - this card is compatible only with Synology SSDs if you see the compatiiblity list for new servers.. I think theres not a problem to work with standard SSD NVMes but they are not officially compatible now..

Probably this compatibility to older NAS could be fixed with new DSM 7. Who knows but finger crossed!

Hello. I didnt.. same here, I had a lot of customers which wanted to update their older NAS with E10M20-T1 card and had no success with that. ASked about it and still no answer.
Theres another thing - this card is compatible only with Synology SSDs if you see the compatiiblity list for new servers.. I think theres not a problem to work with standard SSD NVMes but they are not officially compatible now..

Probably this compatibility to older NAS could be fixed with new DSM 7. Who knows but finger crossed!
Thanks for your msg, I'm still battling with their support to get some explanation for the reasons they created this card and have not made it work in larger enterprise-grade servers and yet, they work with consumer graded NAS devices, seems to be backwards thinking, chances are, an end-user will not need either of those speeds, whereas if you run a company and have many users that is a more valid use case.

In anyways, might be an idea to ask your customers to give Synology a piece of their mind about this topic and hopefully they get enough heat from enough people and change their attitude and we all benefit from it.

Hi,
After countless iterations with some support duche, eventually, I got a better answer than the bs the previous msgs.
It boils down to the Linux kernel which has not been kept updated on older versions. It doesn't make it more palatable to know Synology has done nothing to keep it up to date.
But the promise seems to be that once DSM 7 is out, there might be hope.
a

Attachments

• synology-crap.PNG
    synology-crap.PNG
    105.1 KB · Views: 157
A Consideration:
- your NAS has single PCIe 3.0/8x bus used for a card upgrade
- the mentioned E10M20-T1 card has same interface and supports M.2 NVMe/AHCI
- NVMe support is known from 3.3 kernel
- your NAS is upgradeable only with old M2D18 card, what has PCIe 2.0 x8 bus only & supports M.2 SATA SSD only

There is more clear reason of the problem:
- this isn't trouble at Linux 4.2 kernel side
- your NAS BIOS settings doesn't support of AHCI mode for the NVMe, then you can use M.2 SATA SSD only

Done

Maybe I'm wrong, but... I had M2D18 prevoiusly (installed in my DS1618+) and two SSDs there, both NVMe. So As far as I remember, M2D18 IS NOT SATA SSD ONLY, but NVMe capable.
It is a year ago - I switched to E10M20-T1 then - but I don't remember that I would purchase a new M.2 SSDs. In other words, these two installed in M2D18 previously now I have in my E10M20. And they are Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB M.2 NVMe.

there are two point of view:
1. logical interface (used for disk)
2. physical PCIe BUS interface (adapter)

NVMe is logical interface and you can use in mentioned M2D18 (M.2 M-key)
but more important fact in this case is:
you can use this logical M.2 interface only with exposition to legacy SSD SATA3 at PCIe 2.0 BUS interface what can perform at SSD only level = then M.2 SSD adapter only
AHCI is mandatory in this case for mentioned support at the logical level

It's like super 5.7 HEMI V8 connected into bicycle wheels only.

1606223349555.png

1606224667238.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.