Currently reading
E10M20-T1 performance

NAS
DS1819+, RS1221+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
If I mount the E10M20-T1 card inside my RS1221+ can I experiment a poor performance? My NAS has a 8x Pcie 3.0 slot but only a 4x link.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your current question is but (ignoring the GT/s PCIe spec for a moment) each PCIe 3.0 lane gets you:

- approx 1GB/s - which roughly equates to a saturated 10Gbps ethernet link

With 4 lanes available to you you still have around another 3GB/s going spare even if the 10GbE is maxed-out, plenty for a NVMe read/write cache.

In reality you will not be producing and consuming that amount of bandwidth simultaneously on an 8-bay NAS as the only high-bandwidth way in or out of the NAS itself is that 10GbE link. This leaves plenty PCIe resources available for internal NVMe / SATA cache management, even if we pretended that the other system bottlenecks didn't exist.

It's fine ... If I would use the card for VMs deploy, I should maybe consider the bottleneck of the bus... and CPU of course...
The total bandwidth that its bus (PCIe 3.0 8x) offers is really useful on a XEON NAS where there is more room for high bandwidth transfers... in other words for my RS1221+ the 4 lanes are fine...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.