Currently reading
Editing a task.

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I created several tasks on my nas such as running smart test once a month etc. Somehow I created once to backup my NAS's configuration file but for some reason the log reports it as failed. Trouble is I can't find the sucker to see why it's failing other than the log shows the connection failed. Where other than tasks could I look for it. TIA

config.JPG

OK.

Yesterday both my DSM 7 NAS had a few issues with the automated system configuration backup, it's in the Synology Account part of Control Panel. I think one had two instances and the other four all between 1400-1900 UK time (1300-1800 GMT/UTC), and resulted in notifications being raised. Since then though there's been no repeat.

Addn. just looked at your error messages again and that's exactly what I had.

We're not alone Synology Community

Given that I could access the Internet for everything else at this time (I was working and on IP conf. calls, read into that what you will) I had assume that the error message indicated a problem at Synology's end. Nothing to do but ignore the alerts... I've already got HB backups of this.

Am starting to wonder if I made the right decision in a disk station. I didn't realize that it relied on the internet to do everything. Last week we lost cable so I thought I'd watch a movie off the NAS. No such luck!! I wonder if ABB also needs net access, kind of sucks. Only good thing it offers is the disk redundancy!!

Plex needs Internet access for authentication but once connected you should be able to get local access.

I keep Video Station as a backup as it is completely local, except when it gets metadata.

I don’t know why it needed a sign-up at Synology before allowing access to install ABB. But I have used it with LAN IP as the server name.

And you don’t have to backup the system configuration with Synology if you don’t want to. This is new in DSM 7 and already part of every HB task you do to wherever you save the vaults.

I couldn't even connect to my NAS at all le alone plex. Am beginning to realize it's due to the fact I have a cable modem/ router. Am thinking when cable is out it takes the router with it!

Last edited:
Hmm, the LAN switch and WiFi in the cable modem/router should still allow LAN side connectivity between devices.

I was going to add that I'm on Virgin Media's cable service, but then remembered I only used their Hub 3 device in bridge/modem mode. But I can still access it to see the network log when there's a connection issue on their side.

I couldn't even connect to my NAS at all le alone plex. Am beginning to realize it's due to the fact I have a cable modem/ router. Am thinking when cable is out it takes the router with it!
Did you use your QC or DDNS name by any chance? As @fredbert said, using your NAS IP address you can connect to your nas without the need for a working Internet. If you do rely on your ISP router for your setup the only way that it may not work even then is that there is something wrong with the router itself.

A good way to stay isolated in cases like that is to use a simple network switch to connect all the devices into it, and from that switch onto the router. That way all LAN traffic will still function just fine even if the router is not.

I always just typed in the NAS's ip into edge, but since cable was out it couldn't connect. I have QC disabled and just recently set up ddns. Am pretty sure it's this cable modem/router. Maybe after a few week of work I'll look into getting managed switch and clean up the rats nest under my desk, a never ending task!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.