NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Finally updated to DSM7 and updated my Emby server to the latest version.

I had the issue before where the Emby user had to be added within Photostation to allow it to have view/edit permissions (regardless of if you edited the permissions to the /photo folder to allow full access for Emby user).

However, it seems that the new Emby user is a system one as I do not see it under users/groups (and I cannot add them as it says they already exist), and therefore I cannot set permission for the Emby user in the Synology Photos app....

So I guess what I am asking is how to edit the permissions/access for s system user (one that is not viewable within the DSM GUI).

Solution
Just an update on my issues.

I installed Plex to see if the same thing was happening (which it was) and some quick searching online revealed that performing the action of 'Convert to Windows ACL' on the 'photo' shared folder enabled an additional 'Custom' user permissions section (not visible before). Within these permissions, enabling all for the emby and plex users (including 'Administration - Change permissions & Take ownership') resulted in allowing both Plex and Emby to scrape the folder.

Really hope this helps people in the same position, as it has taken nearly five months to get this resolved.
Can you locate the use as a "system internal user" when you go and configure folder permissions?

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 11.13.22.png

Upvote 0
Hi there, thanks for the help.

Yeah, that is correct in there also. Seems Synology Photos trumps folder permissions. I had exactly the same thing before when it was Photostation, but not so easy to fix this time.

Anyway I can test from a SSH shell the emby permissions (not that I know what the password is...)
Screenshot 2022-12-11 114607.png

Upvote 0
Just an update on my issues.

I installed Plex to see if the same thing was happening (which it was) and some quick searching online revealed that performing the action of 'Convert to Windows ACL' on the 'photo' shared folder enabled an additional 'Custom' user permissions section (not visible before). Within these permissions, enabling all for the emby and plex users (including 'Administration - Change permissions & Take ownership') resulted in allowing both Plex and Emby to scrape the folder.

Really hope this helps people in the same position, as it has taken nearly five months to get this resolved.

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.