NAS Compares Emby VS Synology Video Station NAS in 2021

Currently reading
NAS Compares Emby VS Synology Video Station NAS in 2021

Welcome to NASCompares YouTube channel!

Check out our next video below.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

NAS Compares Video

- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Perhaps, but this video does show the true limitations of what the NAS can effectively playback. Syno advertises 4k supported but as you can see it can't really handle it without significant delay and buffering (if it can play it at all) and those were compressed files. I can't even imagine trying to play uncompressed UHD.

I got in early with EMBY when I used to run their software on a Windows Home Server. I paid for my license key after a month and it was worth every penny back then. EMBY supports almost every device I want to play video on. I haven't done 4k yet most of my source material is from TV shows and family video's. I don't know why he was stating that installing it takes more steps it's just as easy to run as the Video station and has a lot of extra features to handle low bandwidth playback if one is remote and doesn't have high upload bandwidth.

The core issue here is that 3rd party hardware has more robust processing power and RAM capability than the NAS. Plex or Kodi on a Roku/Firestick/NVidia Shield is much more effective options. For 4k - The Shield and a 1 GBE wired network is a MUST to avoid playback issues.

My showstoppers for Emby are 1) Bitmapped subtitles works bad (requires transcoding, Plex doesn't need transcoding anymore for these) 2) Last time I tried, the iOS app doesn't support playing movies in portrait-mode. No really a big thing but slightly annoying.

Last edited:
My showstoppers for Emby are 1) Bitmapped subtitles works bad (requires transcoding, Plex doesn't need transcoding anymore for these) 2) Last time I tried, the iOS app doesn't support playing movies in portrait-mode. No really a big thing but slightly annoying.
Yes, still the same for subtitles. Portrait is possible on iPad but not on iPhone.
-- post merged: --

My showstopper for Plex, Emby, and Video Station are not supporting ISO playback...
Doable with Emby but not straight forward.

From the support forum:
”Emby can import ISO's, but your only real option to play them nowadays would be from an htpc app such as Emby Theater or Emby for Kodi. And even then it would require an external player. So it's doable, but not as seamless as plain video files.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.