Synology News Enabling Remote Work - VPN Plus Licenses Free Until September 30, 2020

Currently reading
Synology News Enabling Remote Work - VPN Plus Licenses Free Until September 30, 2020

Who's going to unmesh their MR2200ac and sign up for extra licences? On the chance that your current main router dies and takes your licences with it.

What I then wonder is: if I do that, will those extra licenses remain when I re-add it to my mesh network? And then maybe 2 years later forced to unmesh it cause my RT2600AC died in one of my sites?

I asked Synology about merging the free SSL-VPN client licence from my MR2200ac because it's a mesh access point controlled by my RT2600ac. The SSL-VPN, or any other service, is not running on mesh access points but it seems fair to let their free licences be temporarily assigned to the mesh controller's services.

Answer: No.

I'm going to order a batch of licences to first see if I get serial numbers that I can save and assign to later devices. If that doesn't happen I'll then move my MR2200ac to access point mode and get licences. They are associated to devices via you account.

I asked Synology about merging the free SSL-VPN client licence from my MR2200ac because it's a mesh access point controlled by my RT2600ac. The SSL-VPN, or any other service, is not running on mesh access points but it seems fair to let their free licences be temporarily assigned to the mesh controller's services.

Answer: No.

I'm going to order a batch of licences to first see if I get serial numbers that I can save and assign to later devices. If that doesn't happen I'll then move my MR2200ac to access point mode and get licences. They are associated to devices via you account.
I told you M8, you have to think about Unifi :cool:
VPN licensees free model

Last edited:
Free licences are available now. Available are both Client (SSL-VPN) and Site licences all for $0.00 each.

Licences are automatically installed against the router that you are using to access the 'shop', so you'll have to unmesh devices if you what to get licences on them for potential future use.

Note for Mac Safari users: I had to disable 'Prevent cross-site tracking' to access the Synology licence store from within my R+SRM browser session. I've re-enable it afterwards.

Unmesh ... now that was more painful than it needs to be. I *think* this is what worked in the end ....

1. Mesh controller router: delete access point router in Wi-Fi Connect / Wi-Fi Point.
  2. Somehow reboot it (did it need the reset button pressed for 10s? Or not?). This is where is got confusing cos I only did step 1 sometime during all this.
  3. I setup the MR2200ac with ethernet ports: LAN to laptop; WAN towards RT2600ac's LAN switch. I find this is always the best approach since these types of devices can default to having a DHCP service running and that can mess up the existing LAN.
  4. Did the setup process of adding admin, WiFi SSID, and as Access Point (or was this in the next step?), it then reboots.
  5. Login from laptop, complete any minimum step, and log into you Synology account
  6. Install VPN Plus and 'buy' max licences (9 client, 1 site).
  7. Shutdown MR2200ac and disconnect ethernet cables.
  8. Boot up router and wait for it to settle with green LEDs then do a hard reset by pressing the reset button for 10s. Let it reboot and eventually it should get to a single blue flashing LED.
  9. On mesh controller router you should now be able to add the MR2200ac back as an Wi-Fi Point (must not have the ethernet connected to the MR2200ac for this to work).
  10. It should reboot again and now the mesh is back as it was.
That was overly difficult and someone might want to try it doing step 1 first, unlike me. And it must be the first time in ages that I actually used Synology Assistant but it was useful to setup the WAN IP address.

No, indeed, I agree. Since the site-to-site licence is a single purchase (not one per account/tunnel/etc) then all this is probably not worth a $9.99 saving.

Though if you think you may need the SSL-VPN in the future, either if your main router fails or for another site, then it's a $90 saving.

For the main router then it's no hardship to get the extra licences, and I rather like VPN Plus on iOS. One thing to note is that you can't reverse proxy the HTTPS connection via a NAS as the mobile client detects that the endpoint it's talking to isn't VPN Plus. Means you have to use dedicated ports but then it detects if there is a break in the communications (which is probably the more important thing).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.