Enabling TLER - WD Shucked Drives

Currently reading
Enabling TLER - WD Shucked Drives

NAS
DS1819+, DS1819+
Operating system
  1. Windows
OK, so I'm pretty new to Synology and pretty green with Linux.

I have two DS1819+ and as of now a single DS920+, although that will likely be returned.

In my "primary" DS1819+ it has 4x12TB + 4x14TB all WD shucked drives.
My "backup" DS1819+ has 8x12TB WD shucked drives.
My DS920+ has 4x8TB WD shucked drives.

I originally had 4x12TB drives in two 4-bay NAS that I've migrated to the 1819+, and added the 14TB and other 4TB drives just recently and switching to SHR2, that's taking forever, but that's another story.

I did fuss with TLER on the drives in the DS1819+ a bit before I started SHR-2 and I believe I had it working, but now some show TLER of 7, and others as disabled.

So I thought I'd fuss with the 8TB drives in the DS920+. Three by default show 7s, one says disabled.

I did find a suggestion (can't find link at the moment sorry) but basically use vim to created a enableTLER.conf in the /etc/init folder with the following settings:
smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/sata1
smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/sata2
smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/sata3
smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/sata4

reboot, and it should work, right? Well SATA2 drive still says disabled (using sudo smartctl -d sat -l scterc /dev/sata2). But other three are fine.

I believe it worked in the DS1819+ machines (except they were all /dev/sda, sdb, sdc, etc) except that I can't test it at the moment because they are in process of adding four drives and converting to SHR-2.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.