Currently reading
Encryption (and general security)

NAS
DS920+, DS416slim
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi all. I'm very new to the whole NAS thing - bought a DS416slim around a week ago - and am loving it so far.

One thing I'm finding a little obscure/difficult is how the encryption of folders works.

Background (this may be overkill but I have seen from other threads that plenty of detail seems to really help!). I have a very basic setup. One volume, one user* that I use for everything, currently using the "default" folder setup. I also 2FA set up. What I basically want to prevent is someone walking into my flat and having access to everything on the NAS HDs if they just pulled them out.
  • \server
  • \home\Drive : Syncing with Drive on my laptop and access using the Drive Android apps. Storing personal docs; I would like to encrypt this folder.
  • \music : I have a mirror of all my music on here, starting from my laptop. Currently using SyncBackFree to sync via laptop (is this sensible? is there a better sync option?). Not bothered about encrypting
  • \photo : not using
  • \video : Video repository. I would like to encrypt this folder
*Is it sensible to have an admin account just for (local) admin-type things, and one restricted account for accessing the apps on phones/tablets etc?

When I look at the encryption settings ||| Roadblock!! I could have sworn that 15 minutes ago, if I right clicked a folder in the File Station, one of the tabs along the top was encryption. And it had two sets of inputs, something like a passphrase and also a subsequent security key. Anyway now I can't find that option and I am totally stumped. I mean I was stumped beforehand; I didn't know the difference between the two password thangs and I was going to ask what knock-on effects encryption has in terms of:
  • remote access - does anything change?
  • does encryption risk data integrity in case of a power failure
    • (no UPS.... at the moment? ---> is it worthwhile using a UPS with a NAS? Yes/No even if it is set to automatic reboot?)
  • if the NAS restarts (due to reboot, power failure or otherwise) are the encrpyted folders locked? How easy is it to unlock them (remotely? via DS finder or something?)
  • do i need to (should i?) leave something permanently plugged into the NAS?
  • possible to en/decrypt multiple separate folders at the same time (eg \home\Drive and \home\video in one go)
Sorry if these questions are super basic. There's a lot of them!!! But most importantly............ if someone could point me in the direction of where to actually encrypt folders in the first place, that would be amazing!!!

Bonus question: Control Panel - Security - Firewall. Should I enable this? Any ramifications?

Thank you very much in advance for any guidance you can give!! I think that's all for now....(y)

When I look at the encryption settings ||| Roadblock!! I could have sworn that 15 minutes ago, if I right-clicked a folder in the File Station, one of the tabs along the top was encryption.
Control Panel > Shared Folders > Select a folder and choose Edit > second tab is Encryption

Make sure you read the whole document on the following link before moving forward with this!

does encryption risk data integrity in case of a power failure
No

(no UPS.... at the moment? ---> is it worthwhile using a UPS with a NAS? Yes/No even if it is set to automatic reboot?)
It is worth it for sure

if the NAS restarts (due to reboot, power failure or otherwise) are the encrypted folders locked? How easy is it to unlock them (remotely? via DS finder or something?)
Using Control Panel > Shared Folders > Encryption button

do i need to (should i?) leave something permanently plugged into the NAS?
What did you have in mind? Regarding encryption? If so then yes... USB key with your encryption keys for automount. Check Control Panel > Shared folders > Action button > Key Manager

possible to en/decrypt multiple separate folders at the same time (eg \home\Drive and \home\video in one go)
Yes it is... Make sure that USB stick with your keys is plugged in and they will decrypt automatically.

Bonus question: Control Panel - Security - Firewall. Should I enable this? Any ramifications?
Well if you are opening your NAS to the internet then yes. Especially if you have no other FW in your network.

Thank you Rusty - much appreciated. Main thing I was worried about was data integrity (ie cleaner unplugging the NAS...!!) but seems that shouldn't be an issue.

I have quite a low-powered NAS so am slightly concerned that streaming videos from an encrypted folder, from my home internet (which is decent) for anything in reasonable quality will be appalling... but time will tell!

Regarding UPS. I can't see a way that the NAS would communicate with it. This is not my area of expertise at all but I understand some UPS come with a USB interface that can alert a computer/NAS/etc that power has gone and to shut down. Is that possible with these / the DS416slim ?

Regarding UPS. I can't see a way that the NAS would communicate with it. This is not my area of expertise at all but I understand some UPS come with a USB interface that can alert a computer/NAS/etc that power has gone and to shut down. Is that possible with these / the DS416slim ?

There are UPS with or without USB data interface. Synology has a list of compatible UPS for the DS on their website. If your UPS or rather the UPS you are going ot buy (yes you should really have a UPS with your DS if you are leaving it powered on 24/7) is supported then all you have to do is connect the USB data interface to your USB port on the DS.

Access the UPS Tab in the DS to adjust the limited settings (unfortunately).
CONTROL PANEL >> HARDWARE AND POWER >> UPS

There are UPS with or without USB data interface. Synology has a list of compatible UPS for the DS on their website. If your UPS or rather the UPS you are going ot buy (yes you should really have a UPS with your DS if you are leaving it powered on 24/7) is supported then all you have to do is connect the USB data interface to your USB port on the DS.

Access the UPS Tab in the DS to adjust the limited settings (unfortunately).
CONTROL PANEL >> HARDWARE AND POWER >> UPS

Thank you very much sir. Looks like it is compatible with some pretty standard/cheap UPS... success.

@dapr0digy @Rusty

Sorry this question is probably better off somewhere else but anyway.... tried to encrypt my home folder, so that Drive is encrypted, and I had the warning (and then reason for failure) of "the name of the encrypted file or folder cannot exceed 143 English characters".... this is pretty shit!! Never seen this limitation on a modern operating system of any kind! If Drive has this issue, is there an alternative (that will sync DS/windows/android) that doesn't have the issue? I know there are various CloudSync / Station apps but the differences are quite hard to work out :unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.