DS1821
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi guys,

I have been using Synology NAS for more than 10 years, great products and last year I replaced my dated 12-bay Synology to a smaller DS1821+, very happy and got it up and running. I'm running Synology VM and I was wondering if there would be a performance change if attach an external eSATA drive to the back of the DS1812 and use that for VM only. I know it wouldn't be part of a RAID but the VM is more for testing so if the SSD drive dies, not a big deal.

All existing drives in the NAS are WD Red 10TB each running Synology SHR

I know the overall LAN speed is the bottleneck but just wonder if I would notice any speed improvements.

Much appreciate your advice,

Here is a little snippet - this is an old Samsung EVO 950 on esata on my 1821+ you will get full speed on the esata ports, so you will get decent performance for a VM on esata using an SSD.

This is benchmarked using Docker on the NAS

firefox_JlMbA7bp1T.png

Thanks for the information, I found out the eSATA port storage can't be used as VM storage! I ended up getting a M2 NVM2 storage and I was able to utilize it as VM Storage. I think this option is only available with the new 7.2 update which I'm happy it works!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.