Question EufyCam 2 Security Camera - for NAS as well as Homekit

Currently reading
Question EufyCam 2 Security Camera - for NAS as well as Homekit

I have to say that one advantage to the cloud option is that the recordings are remote. With the NAS in the house, if someone destroy or steal the NAS, the evidence is gone.

Here‘s a suggestion. Although I’ve never tried it. Synology has a mobile app called LiveCam. It allows you to use a mobile phone‘s camera with SS. Why don’t you try it, it’ll give you a feel for what SS is like.

Im using Axis, Hikvision and Vivotek cameras.
Thanks for sharing. How do you rate those three. A friend who used Axis in the past, said he likes them very much, but they’re expensive, and once out of warranty, fixing any hardware problem is very costly (according to him).

I don't drill holes in the walls which my wife likes
There you go, @tekguru. Just avoid her favorite walls. Good advice 😀

Axis camera I really love... Hikvision is good, not up to the standards (HDR) of the Axis but still good. The Vivotek ive had for a long time and its showing its age... plus its wifi which I really dont like. Getting another Axis to replace the Vivotek.

its funny that the Axis detection software is SO much better than the SS detection. I have the Axis cam taking jpeg images of motion detection and ftp'ing it to the server.

I keep forgetting things. For future reference (and to throw a wrench into the works) 😇
I’ve added the ext4 recommendation to the list, now you’ll need to figure out your storage pools and define priorities. I’d like to see you try explaining that to the Mrs. 🤣
  • Lens field of view.
  • Smart events support.
  • Night vision (how far).
  • Do you need PTZ.
  • Resolution.
  • Number of streams.
  • Do you need masking.
  • IP weather rating.
  • PoE (Power over Ethernet) cameras.
  • Codecs supported by the camera. H.265 is good.
  • Wireless standards supported (if you must go wireless).
  • Synology recommends using the ext4 file system for Surveillance Station.

@WST16 forget most important point in case of explanation for CFO Mrs. officers:
“look it is really nice and won't ruin your well-kept design in this room” ;)

29722F6A-DED7-49D9-B480-F334C4549B95.jpeg

this achievement will be really hard to get, even more complicated than tech specs

My CFO will most likely shoot me and hang me if I try to rub it in her face like that 😀

The only relationship my wife has with my DiskStations are the backups of her research papers on her laptop and the iMazing backup of her iPhone, and I had to convince her to do that. She was reluctant. Other than that, to her these things are ugly, take up space with lots of wires and a total nonsense and waste of money, especially that there’s more than one 🤣

They’re not very expensive. I have this for the cameras.
I'm officially stunned! That does indeed make it viable! Duly noted!
Im using SS with three cameras. I dont have them outside in the elements but indoors behind a window. Two are wired with POE adapters and one is wireless. I understand that behind a window will negate the see in the dark functionality of the cameras but there is little wear and tear on the cameras. I do have motion detection led lights on the outside to illuminate the areas of concern. when the lights detect motion the cameras detect the lights and record. .... my cameras are compatible with SS, Im using Axis, Hikvision and Vivotek cameras.
Sounds good, can you share what cameras you use (models)?
I don't drill holes in the walls which my wife likes however i do have RJ45 cables running under window sills covered by cable covers that i got at home depot. Ive been running with this setup for at least 10 years. Ive caught vandals, dog walkers not picking up dog poop in my yard, drug deals etc.
This intrigues me as I'm trying to think how the PoE RJ45 cabling can be waterproof when entering the cameras as the house.

I'm now starting to think for a couple of cameras, a PoE switch, and some waterproofed RJ45 cabling it might not be too expensive?

I have to say that one advantage to the cloud option is that the recordings are remote. With the NAS in the house, if someone destroy or steal the NAS, the evidence is gone.

Here‘s a suggestion. Although I’ve never tried it. Synology has a mobile app called LiveCam. It allows you to use a mobile phone‘s camera with SS. Why don’t you try it, it’ll give you a feel for what SS is like.
Yep which is why the cloud tempts me :) Oooh I'll have a play with that! app
My CFO will most likely shoot me and hang me if I try to rub it in her face like that 😀 The only relationship my wife has with my DiskStations are the backups of her research papers on her laptop and the iMazing backup of her iPhone, and I had to convince her to do that. She was reluctant. Other than that, to her these things are ugly, take up space with lots of wires and a total nonsense and waste of money, especially that there’s more than one
Grief our spouses share common genetic traits! Plus mine works for a banking institution. I'm lucky I get what I get LOL.
I keep forgetting things. For future reference (and to throw a wrench into the works) 😇
I’ve added the ext4 recommendation to the list, now you’ll need to figure out your storage pools and define priorities. I’d like to see you try explaining that to the Mrs. 🤣
All noted! :) And yeah......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.