Currently reading
Question EufyCam 2 Security Camera - for NAS as well as Homekit

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm considering enhancing our home security via adding security cameras to the front and back of the property. As we're an Apple family and Apple have the HomeKit Secure Video system I'd love to go with cameras which use that system.

The installation has to be wireless to keep 'her indoors' happy concerning adding wiring to the house.

From what I can see the EufyCam 2 supports the Secure Video system as can be verified here. It also looks like the EufyCam 2 supports operation with a Synology NAS as can be seen here.

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any advice / experience of the camera before I buy?

1. check it compatibility with Syno SS here . Follow the result, this cam is unsupported.
2. in your link provided, you can find in discussion part, that this cam has lot of troubles from almost all user posts.
3. follow your expectation = enhancing our home security = it’s better to choose cam with native support (tested) with Syno SS, otherwise you will purchase piece of HW with nice white paper description, but with uncertain operation.

@WST16 will help you more, he is testing everyday something new for a fun :cool: in surveillance area. And I like his evaluation lesson learned.

Yep I read those comment after posting, so it looks like it'd work great with Homekit but alas not with the NAS. Homekit is my priority though.

I'm still avoiding using Docker :) I did run Homebridge on my PC but had a few issues with it. Syno SS I'll be looking at if I can't find what I want with Homekit integration.

Yeah I know a lot of folks on here use it, but I can't really see it being of any benefit to me. Yep I was an IT Admin / Engineer, but now I'm retired I do want a bit of 'techie playing', but Docker always sounds like a lot of hard work, and I'd rather not rely too much on NAS solutions just in case they fail.

Just a single off-topic post. @tekguru you would be surprised how Synology has a history of deprecating one solution (app) for another. In the case of Docker, you can run that same solution on any Docker capable platform even if you decide to move away from Syno as a brand. You should consider giving it a go at least.

Homekit is my priority though.
Unfortunately, I’m not using HomeKit. What’s the benefit (to you) of having them HomeKit certified in the context of surveillance?
With a HomeKit camera, recording will be to a cloud server usually. That‘s totally a no go (for me). Looks like this one is trying (NAS) with RTSP but failing.

In addition to what @jeyare said, my advice is to try to make them wired rather than wireless. I know you said this won’t please the lady of the house. But don’t dismiss the option immediately without giving it some thought. You might find a way that will make everyone happy.

Also, take into consideration when choosing cameras:
  • Lens field of view.
  • Smart events support.
  • Night vision (how far).
  • Do you need PTZ.
  • Resolution.
  • Number of streams.
  • Do you need masking.
  • IP weather rating.
  • Wireless standards support (if you must go wireless).
And anything important I forgot 😀

@Rusty Hmm okay in that case what benefit(s) does Docker give me, from what I know it's a compartmentalised system that can run containers which are OS / apps in one lot? As far as I'm aware I can't think of anything that I'd need to run that could use that system.

@WST16 The reason for looking to go with Homekit Secure Video for the reasons stated here. Basically it is fully secure, is cloud viable in a secure manner and can integrate with the rest of the Homekit items around the home.

Wired is totally out with the only caveat to that drilling through a wall for power if needed. Or I guess if the wiring could be external to the property that could work.

We'd only need to run with two external cameras so that we could monitor the back garden / patio and the front drive. Ideally spec wise we'd want wide angle view, with night vision, 4K i think is out, masking? if you are taking area selection and avoid animal sensitivity yes, IP preferably 66 or 67. Smart events are a must, if we don't go Homekit then as a minimum I need notifications on the iPhone and be able to respond via intercom or siren etc if needed. No ideas what PTZ is BTW?

I knew I forgot something.
Very important, codecs supported by the camera. H.265 is good. Less bandwidth and storage, with good picture.

Masking is for if you need to mask part of what the camera ”sees”. If it has in its view a neighbor‘s house and there is no way around it, then you might be required legally to mask that part. To my knowledge, SS doesn’t have that. Some cameras come with that feature.

PTZ is for Pan/Tilt/Zoom.

@WST16 Okay based on what I've said above (PTZ would be useful) and if I had to go wireless are there any cameras you'd recommend? Then again if I had to go wired any recommendations there?

Sorry, I’ve never considered wireless for outside so I don’t know much about them. My experience is with Hikvision and I’d say they’re good for the price. I heard a lot of good about Amcrest, no experience though.

You need two. Just buy one for now and play with it first and see. So you can improve the 2nd purchase based on what you’ve learned from the first :)

Last edited:
@WST16 The reason for looking to go with Homekit Secure Video for the reasons stated here.
Thank you for that link. Although an Apple user for a very long time, I didn’t embrace the smart house, Homekit, iOT appliances movement, but that’s me :)

So it goes to the cloud. Not an option I want (a personal preference). The reason I’ve invested in my Synology is to avoid everything cloud based. For me, everything is local and backed up locally and remotely (to me) :)

Edit:
Another downside to cloud recording is that some of your bandwidth is consumed uploading surveillance video (constantly if you choose so).

Here’s another thing if you decide to go wired. Cameras with PoE support. So all you need is a PoE switch. No need for providing power separately. Very convenient.

Here’s the updated list:
  • Lens field of view.
  • Smart events support.
  • Night vision (how far).
  • Do you need PTZ.
  • Resolution.
  • Number of streams.
  • Do you need masking.
  • IP weather rating.
  • PoE (Power over Ethernet) cameras.
  • Codecs supported by the camera. H.265 is good.
  • Wireless standards supported (if you must go wireless).

Hmm a good thought there over the bandwidth as I do have a poor internet connection. It'd be only operational though when detecting movement and uploading.

Yeh but getting a PoE switch would start ramping up the cost and I know I'd get objections to that from the other half as she feels we don't need cameras that much. Me I'm looking at the burglaries increasing in recent times and think otherwise.

I've noted your additional list and will use it for reference.

Hmm a good thought there over the bandwidth as I do have a poor internet connection. It'd be only operational though when detecting movement and uploading.
I’ve personally gave up on recording on alarm triggers only (found that I missed some events when I was on motion detection previously). Now smart events have reduced false positives so much. I might need to fine tune it more though. But it won’t be perfect and false triggers are expected. I record everything low res and when an event is triggered, SS switches to the high res stream for better video. This way the required space on the NAS is much lower and every now and then, when the need arises, I can go through the whole day if needed on max speed.
getting a PoE switch would start ramping up the cost
They’re not very expensive. I have this for the cameras.

my two cents,

Im using SS with three cameras. I dont have them outside in the elements but indoors behind a window. Two are wired with POE adapters and one is wireless. I understand that behind a window will negate the see in the dark functionality of the cameras but there is little wear and tear on the cameras. I do have motion detection led lights on the outside to illuminate the areas of concern. when the lights detect motion the cameras detect the lights and record.

my cameras are compatible with SS, Im using Axis, Hikvision and Vivotek cameras. I know, I know its not a standard surveillance system but it works. I also have a secondary software system called SecuritySpy which runs on my mac server in case SS becomes unstable.

I don't drill holes in the walls which my wife likes however i do have RJ45 cables running under window sills covered by cable covers that i got at home depot. Ive been running with this setup for at least 10 years. Ive caught vandals, dog walkers not picking up dog poop in my yard, drug deals etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.