NAS Compares Exciting NEW Synology DS1620xs NAS Drive Revealed

Currently reading
NAS Compares Exciting NEW Synology DS1620xs NAS Drive Revealed

Brand New DS1620xs NAS Drive from Synology – BEST NAS EVER!

The Synology 2020 Launch Exhibition is still happening here and I am pleased to confirm ANOTHER new NAS for 2019/2020. Is the Synology DS1620xs NAS server what you have been waiting for? I will admit, that is pretty unlikely, it is still remarkably new information and still a fair way from release but I will say that it is easily the most forward-thinking unit I have seen in their diskstation series yet and quite a few reasons why the DS1620xs has alot of potential. Featuring a powerful higher tier Intel CPU, SSD Caching bays, PCIe and some unparalleled LAN abilities, is the DS1620xs an earlier winner of the show so far? Let’s discuss.

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Agree! Although I'd like to, I'm also wary of moving to the XS series models given that I believe they don't support SHR/SHR-2 (even as an option!) whereas the Plus series support both SHR/SHR-2 and RAID level options - I like the functionality to mix drive sizes (and therefore to limit the expense of increasing volume size with extra capacity disks) in SHR/SHR-2...

Hopefully DSM7.0 will also allow for the SHR/SHR-2 option in the XS models... And while they are at it, allow SSD Raid F1 on all models!

sure the CPU architecture is old, but ...
another point of view - try to compare 6-Bay "rocket" 3018xs with this new 1620xs
1. better performed CPU for the new one: 2x more cores/threads = really better for multi-threaded tasks. It counts in Synology environment.
2. operation frequency is same: 2.2. Turbo is almost same: 2.6 vs 2.7 for new one. Not a significant change.
3. RAM frequency support is better for the new one 1866 MHz vs 2133 MHz. It is not a significant step, but it counts

nearest model wit such CPU as the new one DS1620xs is RS3618xs with 12-bay and for 80% cost vs DS3018xs. It will be better to see some test of indexig, backup/restore, encryption, snapshot/replication, VMs, than just "theoretical" information.

When SHR isn't supported, I can't take it as bad message. But you know my point of view to data tiering principles = when appropriate data resides on the appropriate storage technology, you can obtain max performance or reliability.

But if they used a new one and later Intel discovered (ok not Intel, some researcher would find it) a flaw in the CPU then people would question the decision to use unproven technology.

There must be some cross-over point from using as XX TB and many services on a general purpose server deployment of the NAS to XXX TB and single/dual purpose NAS deployment of the NAS. Are these now services with storage or storage with services?

Maybe Synology need to start adding graphics support just so that they can then offload to a GPU ;)

If I was going to be charitable then I'd say the Synology had looked at the target market and this spec best met their needs for the price, otherwise I'd say that they'd already got this working in other models and this was the cheapest way to get an upgrade out.

I get your point though, once populated with high TB disks then any increase cost in CPU will be marginal vs the overall built price.

I have no problem with tried and true, just that they could have put in a bit more "modern" cpu that supports HW transcode for example.
Hi M8, understand your point.
When I see everyday what I can operate at my Atoms farm, .... :)
Yes, the Xeon CPU used for the new XS NAS is old from age point of view, but still in good condition vs. 2y old Xeon E3 range v6. The question is what is better added value:
- younger CPU model, but without significant improvement vs 4y old ancestor
- or more power for just 6-bay NAS (desktop form factor) vs Atom like CPUs in same 6-bay desktop form factor line?
And of course for such CPU performance increase we need count with cooling. And as we know, in such small place as we have in “desktop NAS”, we have pretty small place for efficient cooling in high load for long time. There is just one and only way - make more space in such NAS for new age CPUs or les performed CPUs in such small space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.