Exclude backup folders programmatically?

Currently reading
Exclude backup folders programmatically?

I have a bunch of photos on my DS and I also make a secondary offsite backup at AWS. It's getting large and more expensive. I'd like to reduce how many photos it backs up by only backing up the "good" ones. Right now, I have a series of folders (in larger folders) which each have one subfolder called Originals. I put the photos in Originals, then at some point go through and pick out the good ones which I copy to the parent folder. I repeat this for each set of photos.

What I'm thinking I could do is set up Hyper Backup to ignore anything in Originals - ideally, ignore anything in an Originals only if there are image files in the parent folder. If there were a way to just tell Hyper Backup to ignore any folder named Originals, that's probably fine - not that much time goes by before I filter them, and I have an extra copy still on the phones/etc. I could set up some Python code to do either of these if there is a file somewhere with a documented format that stores which folders Hyper Backup should back up or not.

My current DS is an older one that can only run DSM 6.2, but I may upgrade anyway, so a solution that works on 6.2 is great but if not that's fine. (If I upgrade, I also realize I could move the old DS to a parent's house or something, sync them, and not use AWS. :) )

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.