NAS
DS 3617xs
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,

We have a HA cluster in where we have 4 slots free in both members. In order to expand the volume, what is the procedure? Do I have to add disks to both cluster members at the same time, and expand the volume in the cluster?

Best regards

Last edited:
Thank you,
I have already read that. It only mentions replacing the drives to expand capacity, not adding new ones.

Yeah that's why I noted that.
I suppose it may depend on the RAID type you have used. Also can you dissociate the two HA members and update them separately (following same steps on each) and then re-associate them?

The alternative is to create a new storage pool with the spare bays ... if HA cluster supports this.

Your best bet is to raise a ticket with Synology support.

*HA cluster is (obviously) very vendor specific. When I used to do it on enterprise firewalls it could be different between different hardware platforms from the same vendor. Back then you'd force the failover to the backup when working on the primary (could be by changing the virtual IP priority so the backup takes control) then work on the primary device, reboot etc., and then do the same on the backup. Of course it's a bit different when managing the data sync and not just connection state table and so on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.