Expanding a 2 drive Synology

Currently reading
Expanding a 2 drive Synology

I currently have a Synology DS223 with one 4 TB hard drive in it that has been set up with Basic RAID. I received a 8 TB hard drive that I wanted to add to the second bay. Issue is that since the 4 TB was set up as basic I can't add the new drive and change the RAID type to SHR. What is the easiest way to go about changing the setup so I can get it to SHR with both drives? As a point of note, I do have all my current NAS data on the 4 TB drive backed up with a cloud provider so it would be an option to start clean and sync to the cloud provider to rebuild by data on my NAS if that is the best approach. Appreciate the guidance.

This is a 2 bay NAS, so your options with configuration are limited. Is "Basic RAID" configured as RAID 1? If so, you will only be able to utilize the formatted space of 4TB of the 8TB drive, and gives you no increase in space as you end up with mirrored drives with 1 drive redundancy. SHR doesn't really help you as it ends up being the same situation. If your goal is to increase space, you would add the 8 TB drive, let the configuration complete, then you would need to remove the 4 TB drive and add a second 8 TB drive, and repeat the expansion process.

This is a 2 bay NAS, so your options with configuration are limited. Is "Basic RAID" configured as RAID 1? If so, you will only be able to utilize the formatted space of 4TB of the 8TB drive, and gives you no increase in space as you end up with mirrored drives with 1 drive redundancy. SHR doesn't really help you as it ends up being the same situation. If your goal is to increase space, you would add the 8 TB drive, let the configuration complete, then you would need to remove the 4 TB drive and add a second 8 TB drive, and repeat the expansion process.
Thanks. So if in the near term I am more concerned about drive redundancy do I just add the new 8TB drive and don't need to change the RAID from Basic to SHR?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.