Currently reading
Exporting a Syno Office spreadsheet to Excel fails

NAS
Synology DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
When users on my NAS are working on a spreadsheet in Synology Office and try to use the "Export to Excel" function, they are greeting with an error message: "Operation failed". Exporting to PDF works, though.

All users are using macOS, but some are using Safari and others Firefox – it's all the same for them.

Has anyone seen this?

Solution
Update: SOLVED. Just in case somebody ever runs into this. Synology Drive and Office maintain a temporary working directory "@tmp" on the root level. This directory needs to have 777 rights and they had for some unknown reason been modified. It was a permissions issue. After setting the directory to 777, everything works. Synology Tech Support was a great help.
I'm on the German version and here, both "Download" (from the file list view) and "Download as... Excel (.xlsx)" (inside the Synology Office spreadsheet app) don't work with the aforementioned error message. I just checked that it also doesn't work for admins.

On a side note, I also noticed that versioning doesn't seem to work. 4 people have worked on said file for 3 days now and the versions list only shows the original version and none of the later reworks. Selecting the option "Name this version" produces the error message "Workflow invalid" (in German), the naming dialogue shows a spinner and enters a stuck loop with deactivated buttons.

Upvote 0
try to use the "Export to Excel"
Guessing you mean File > Download As > MS-Excel option? If so, I have no problem using it with Safari (11.3 big sur) and the O365 local version of Excel. It converts fine and downloads.

Are those spreadsheets with some complex functions? Or it doesn't matter?

Using Syno Office on a local IP or domain name URL?

Upvote 0
Guessing you mean File > Download As > MS-Excel option? If so, I have no problem using it with Safari (11.3 big sur) and the O365 local version of Excel. It converts fine and downloads.

Are those spreadsheets with some complex functions? Or it doesn't matter?

Using Syno Office on a local IP or domain name URL?
Yeah, well, I'm on the German version. :)

Nope, the spreadsheets are very simple.

However, the file was not originally created by Synology Office – it was an Excel file and I then chose "Import into Synology Office" when I was prompted. I may need to try it in a different shared folder with a fully originally Synology file.

And I am accessing it via a custom domain name, but am physically on the same local network.

Upvote 0
Using the latest stable.

And, no change with regard to different folders or way of creating the file. Guess I'll have to shoot for Synology support.

Upvote 0
Update: SOLVED. Just in case somebody ever runs into this. Synology Drive and Office maintain a temporary working directory "@tmp" on the root level. This directory needs to have 777 rights and they had for some unknown reason been modified. It was a permissions issue. After setting the directory to 777, everything works. Synology Tech Support was a great help.

Upvote 0
Solution
For me, changing permissions didn't help resolve the export issue.
In my case help this ansfer form Synology support:

If the name of the encrypted table tab is longer than 32 characters or contains special characters like / or \, the export to xlsx fails.

After changing the name of the table sheets according to this, the export started working

Maybe it will help someone ...

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.