External Access Stopped Working (DS918+)

Currently reading
External Access Stopped Working (DS918+)

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
My DS918+ was previously connected externally, but suddenly last night it stopped connecting. Also what's weird is that I can only access the NAS from my desktop, not my phone and not my laptop even when connected on the same network (via wifi). Can view plex and watch stuff via desktop, but not via phone, laptop, or TVs. Additionally docker containers accessible via desktop but not other devices.

I am completely stuck and have no idea how to troubleshoot this. Was working for the past 3 years. Please advise.

I've checked and all my port forwards are still in the router

I then logged in to DSM and I see that my quickconnect domain cannot resolve - see screenshot and error message at the bottom

external access - quick connect.jpg

Screenshots from the DDNS and Advanced tabs for external access - for the external ip address I manually added in the 192.168.68.2 ip address for the Nas but that didn't change anything.

external access - ddns.jpg

external access - advanced.jpg

I then looked at the network page general and network interface tabs

network - general.jpg

I had to reset my modem yesterday, but the router settings are the same - I use a Deco mesh and have the modem in bridge mode.

I had the same exact issue. For some reason disabling the firewall allowed the apps and what not to work again, not sure why! I only allow US-based traffic to hit the NAS, and I also have cloudflare proxying my subdomains. CF was giving me 522 errors, but only on chrome and in apps. Firefox worked fine.

No clue what is going on, unless somehow the traffic is being routed outside of the US in the apps, which I would not be surprised if it were.

I wish there was a way to trace the traffic or see the logs where the server is denying connections.

Im wondering also if somewhere along the lines the IP is using IPv6 instead of IPv4

Had simelar issue last Thursday.
Router and 1 NAS worked, 2 NAS’s didn’t!

This occurred as I was adding a camera license code, or did it happen days a day prior when I tried then uninstalled CMS?

Spent hours trying to find what l did wrong!
Went to bed talking to myself …..

Next day—ALL WORKS FINE!

Even though their sites said “up”… It’s pretty obvious they had a problem!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.