External access to NAS at <1% of bitrate rating - Solution

Currently reading
External access to NAS at <1% of bitrate rating - Solution

OK so this didn't help me. I'm still at 20th-C dial-up speed from my Synology NAS - through a gigabit router!!
1675788109204.png

Last edited:
I’ve personally encountered EBay bought CAT6 cables limiting to 100Mb with decent Gb hardware, and went through the $ and pain of determining how to test cables and trust the results, then replacing the bad EBay cables with tested good CAT6 cables.
That ‘fixed’:
Then I had to realize that if I have 3-6 cameras ftp’ing pictures or video to system, or 3 shared folder sync’s going in or out, and I simultaneously ask for a large file from NAS, to another device on Ethernet… I won’t get a full speed copy to another device either!

To further explain: The Esata drive (SSD) I just added to NAS’s:
Doing a file copy to this external esata drive via Ethernet was 4-5 times slower, than same files copied with File Station from NAS’s 7200 rpm SHR drives - to external eSATA SSD.

IF your devices are good Gb devices, do whatever you can do verify each of the cables….. Ethernet is the weakest point in system, and that is THAT … that is tying your system — Any System: together.

Last edited:
That's a very old post and hasn't applied to DSM releases for some time now.

What does your NAS network settings tell you about the connection?
Yet my NAS was set by default to some very old SMB settings! ;)
Current Resource Monitor activity (single file upload to remote NAS):
1675872248498.png

-- post merged: --

I’ve personally encountered EBay bought CAT6 cables limiting to 100Mb with decent Gb hardware, and went through the $ and pain of determining how to test cables and trust the results, then replacing the bad EBay cables with tested good CAT6 cables.
That ‘fixed’:
Then I had to realize that if I have 3-6 cameras ftp’ing pictures or video to system, or 3 shared folder sync’s going in or out, and I simultaneously ask for a large file from NAS, to another device on Ethernet… I won’t get a full speed copy to another device either!

To further explain: The Esata drive (SSD) I just added to NAS’s:
Doing a file copy to this external esata drive via Ethernet was 4-5 times slower, than same files copied with File Station from NAS’s 7200 rpm SHR drives - to external eSATA SSD.

IF your devices are good Gb devices, do whatever you can do verify each of the cables….. Ethernet is the weakest point in system, and that is THAT … that is tying your system — Any System: together.
The cables seem to work fine when connecting PC to router. But you make me think maybe Synology Drive is hogging bandwidth. 🤔 (Even when nothing synching.) I'll check that & see if pausing all the tasks helps.
-- post merged: --

Hmm, Drive is definitely much more efficient!!
1675873715787.png

But that doesn't help my clients downloading from my NAS at 100KB/s!
Some testing to come then - & to see if there's a way I can prioritise file sharing (always much more urgent) over Synology Drive.

Just to add here that I've had to move to a different platform as I have never found the solution to get sustainably above 100KB/s over the Internet with my NAS on a 1GB/s connection, and that is just not acceptable for a professional client-facing file server.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.