External USB Device Missing ?

NAS
DS1019+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,
ive two WD external usb devices connected to my DS1019+ as backup, using USB copy, just noticed the first one has disappeared from File Station and Finder on my iMac, but it shows up in control panel, external devices ? seemed just random, can anyone help please ?

No, its was there yesterday, missing this morning
-- post merged: --

still showing up in control panel, external devices with the other one, shows normal on both ?

Upvote 0
It's not something I've seen.

Ages ago when testing out an external USB enclosure that was not on UPS/isolated surge-protected socket I could get it to self-eject/disconnect from the NAS when I switched on/off a fan. Both were on the same power strip, but I think the surge-protection was only on the wall cable.

I can't remember what state it left the drive in, whether visible in some part of DSM or not, but the only remedy I found was to to physically disconnect the USB cable and re-attach.

Everything is on UPS now and I've not experienced this since.

Upvote 0
it is powered by a power strip connected to a surge protected strip, ive ejected that device in control panel and unplugged it, waited a minute, re inserted the USB plug, showing up in both file station and finder, thanks, that device is plugged into the rear usb socket, and the cable is tight against the back of the shelving unit my DS is on, think ill drill another little hole for better cable management soon, thanks very much for your suggestion, tech problems ive found are often solved simpler than you first think (y)

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.