Currently reading
External users

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm working on letting other users into my Nas and found something curious. I have given them access to only file manager. However, they have to have access to the homes folder. In doing so they are able see everyone's files that are stored there. Is there a way to avoid this. Not too secure if you ask me!!

Last edited:
Will check it out, Thank you Rusty!!
-- post merged: --

Hmmm, maybe I'm misunderstanding. I don't want to sync files with her but want her to be able to log in and have access, "r/w," to just her folder. Unless it's the only way.

Upvote 0
New to this but had a similar question myself. Stumbled my way through though.

In the Homes Folder I created another folder with a name then give that folder permission to only that person.

When setting up Synology Photos I found the same as you it gave the users access to all folders (Photo Library).
Also found creating a backup on the phone put it in the main All Photos directly also.

All sorted now I think? Soon find out when someone screams their files have been moved or deleted.. :)

Upvote 0
Also found creating a backup on the phone put it in the main All Photos directly also.
This can be configured on the client side, and redirected to a persons custom folder inside their own folder structure.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I sorted the folder share issue by creating a folder for each user.

Oddly after I did that one person could no longer login, they got an error saying they don't have permission
even though the read/write box was clearly ticked and they had no issues before. The only change was some
recent updates.

Upvote 0
But the user should be able to have access to r/w to what folder you grant the user over Synology Drive, correct?
There is also a option to hide folders that they have no permission to.
For example under SMB: Hide shared folders from users without permissions.
Under Shared Folders: Hide sub-folders and files from users without permissions.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back