NAS
DS916+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I’ve had my DS916+ for about 5 years, when I first got it I had the usual 3rd party attempts to try and access it until I set the firewall rules as the usual - allow LAN, allow country, Deny all, and haven’t had a single failed attempt since then. My default Admin account is disabled and I use 2FA.

Last night I was alerted to an attempt to login from 37.63.x.x which is apparently Bulgaria when I looked it up. Just trying to figure out why that attempt snuck through?

Please note that country filter is very easy to bypass, eg by using vpn servers in your country, you should not rely on this.
It would be better to deny all, and only allow trusted IP if possible.

But the egress point of the VPN service would provide a NAT'ed source IP that is registered in-country. If the firewall is set to deny access to country A and yet a login attempt has been detected from an IP address registered to country A, this being done on the destination, this then suggests that the path taken doesn't matter. The issue is that the firewall should have blocked country A traffic and yet it hasn't.

That's why I wondered if there is a mismatch between the firewall's geo-location database and the [website] database used to check the IP.

But the egress point of the VPN service would provide a NAT'ed source IP that is registered in-country. If the firewall is set to deny access to country A and yet a login attempt has been detected from an IP address registered to country A, this being done on the destination, this then suggests that the path taken doesn't matter. The issue is that the firewall should have blocked country A traffic and yet it hasn't.

That's why I wondered if there is a mismatch between the firewall's geo-location database and the [website] database used to check the IP.
Agree.
My point is a general remark, not directly related to this login. Geo-location is indeed not very reliable.

Guessing this is on a port that is being blocked by a certain rule already in place?
I don’t know for sure what port it came in on, but I don’t use 5000/5001.
How did you determine that this IP address is registered in Bulgaria? External website?

It is probably due to different geo-location databases having discrepancies or, if they are usually aligned, a recent reassignment hasn't made it to all active caches of databases.
Yes, it was just an IP address lookup, I assume what it told me was correct.
The full address was 37.63.19.140

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.