Faulty DS418

Currently reading
Faulty DS418

Ok Ray, with regards to the shutdown command I did describe it in the post you just answered? Syno_pwroff and it showed "Shutdown DS" but it didn't
I have not tried another power supply for the reason that this is not a failure it is corruption due to my house power going off while it was updating. But are you asking because of the refusal to shut down? Does the Syno send a command to the power supply to shut down? I would be extremely grateful if while you are helping me you could tell me a bit about the system as well as I love to learn, I also have a DS920 I will try the power supply from that and let you know if it helps with the shutdown.
I have never seen a response on the log when I press the shutdown button HOWEVER I do get a Power has been unplugged, when I pull the dc connection out to shut it down. Bob
My true apologies. Juggling 4 forums and repairs on top. Even I forget at my old age. LOL! OK. Will go over these and be back asap. Thanks-Ray

My true apologies. Juggling 4 forums and repairs on top. Even I forget at my old age. LOL! OK. Will go over these and be back asap. Thanks-Ray
No Problem Ray, I have the same problem and as I said I am just grateful to have you helping me

Hi Bob, You mentioned didn't turn off. Can you login as root user, let it fully boot until done, hit enter a few times, you will see the work diskstation, and user,,,,,and then type the word "poweroff". After you type this and hit enter a command should come across, and signal to shut down devices.
I want to know what was the last device attempting to shut down, and did not. As the API commands should launch this. You can log this as well. Now the OS. I do have copies of OS's, yet I don't have the exact copy for this model. But in my directory I have it for this model as a REALTEK cpu that matches yours from another ,model. And here we do this alot, by swapping known good ones over to a non-working one. Even if the model is not a match. Because after you boot with this. You just update, and it fixes all the kinks in it.
And Synology sends PAT files for specific models, yet inside they are all the same for similar series units. Many guys tweak this file for making a unit another model, and such for fun hacking.
Or even downgrading the OS.
Like here:
Its good reading, and I have alot in there too.
In many forums too, like Xpenology.

So my OS's will work in there, but you will have to mod the serial and mac info from that OS to yours. I will tell you also how to do that.
In summary to that: So downlead a copy of any hex editor. I use a tool called hex-workshop, but anything, even HEXedit will work, or of you need a copy of hexworkshop, I can send that as well.
There is even hacked stuff here for that:

You won't even need to extract the PAT, you can work directly with it in any bios bin type editor. Many will extract the version file and play with it. But its a waste of time, and there are more entries in the PAT pack then in just one file.

But run the shutdown command as described above. "poweroff". I am curious what happens. I know you mentioned it had that command. And you typed it. syno-pwroff. But can't remember if that is the true command. Maybe be a state, not a command. And something should have been scrolling on the logs when "poweroff" command is sent, as the disks get unmounted, network interfaces, and alot more.

If you had a USB to TTL serial cable is nicer, as you get to see the initial boot phase. And test SYNO1 boot. As its a backup OS on the system. USB to TTL is setup as 115200/8/1/NONE in case you do or did already. And with coin cell removed default root and admin password is 101-0101, due to the date of JAN01 showing. Don't plug in the ethernet cable or the time will change and password changes, as the unit gets it time stamp from the LAN cable. As long as the NAS doesn't see LAN network, and has the coin cell removed the date will default to JAN01, and password is 101-0101.
Let me know what happens?
Thanks
Ray

Last edited:
Hi Bob, You mentioned didn't turn off. Can you login as root user, let it fully boot until done, hit enter a few times, you will see the work diskstation, and user,,,,,and then type the word "poweroff". After you type this and hit enter a command should come across, and signal to shut down devices.
I want to know what was the last device attempting to shut down, and did not. As the API commands should launch this. You can log this as well. Now the OS. I do have copies of OS's, yet I don't have the exact copy for this model. But in my directory I have it for this model as a REALTEK cpu that matches yours from another ,model. And here we do this alot, by swapping known good ones over to a non-working one. Even if the model is not a match. Because after you boot with this. You just update, and it fixes all the kinks in it.
And Synology sends PAT files for specific models, yet inside they are all the same for similar series units. Many guys tweak this file for making a unit another model, and such for fun hacking.
Or even downgrading the OS.
Like here:
Its good reading, and I have alot in there too.
In many forums too, like Xpenology.

So my OS's will work in there, but you will have to mod the serial and mac info from that OS to yours. I will tell you also how to do that.
In summary to that: So downlead a copy of any hex editor. I use a tool called hex-workshop, but anything, even HEXedit will work, or of you need a copy of hexworkshop, I can send that as well.
There is even hacked stuff here for that:

You won't even need to extract the PAT, you can work directly with it in any bios bin type editor. Many will extract the version file and play with it. But its a waste of time, and there are more entries in the PAT pack then in just one file.

But run the shutdown command as described above. "poweroff". I am curious what happens. I know you mentioned it had that command. And you typed it. syno-pwroff. But can't remember if that is the true command. Maybe be a state, not a command. And something should have been scrolling on the logs when "poweroff" command is sent, as the disks get unmounted, network interfaces, and alot more.

If you had a USB to TTL serial cable is nicer, as you get to see the initial boot phase. And test SYNO1 boot. As its a backup OS on the system. USB to TTL is setup as 115200/8/1/NONE in case you do or did already. And with coin cell removed default root and admin password is 101-0101, due to the date of JAN01 showing. Don't plug in the ethernet cable or the time will change and password changes, as the unit gets it time stamp from the LAN cable. As long as the NAS doesn't see LAN network, and has the coin cell removed the date will default to JAN01, and password is 101-0101.
Let me know what happens?
Thanks
Ray
Hi Ray, you have lost me mate, you say log in as root user, do you mean with putty? also I was just looking at the downgrade the OS you linked me to and it starts with SSH into the disk station. I can do niether, you know this nas will not start up don't you? you said you were going to read the logs I gave you, not only will the power switch not turn it off, I have no network connection, It cannot be found with Syno assistant, how am I to do what you are asking?

Also all my logs I have posted for you are done with a serial ttl cable from the serial port on the edge of the board, how do you think I got the logs? Well I say it's a serial cable, it is but it's a unit called Bus Pirate and when Bus pirate is configured, you will see the Bus Pirate configuration at the start of the logs, Bus Pirate allows me to enter commands from the keyboard, I have so far only pressed enter while booting to get to the Uboot menu and I have tried things in there. But if I let it boot until it stops with the error messages, It will not let me type anything else.
Is there a way of logging on I don't know yet via the cable then?

I am totally confused now, and if I try the downgrade operating system above how do I load it on a machine that will not boot to completion?

Last edited:
Ok Ray, with regards to the shutdown command I did describe it in the post you just answered? Syno_pwroff and it showed "Shutdown DS" but it didn't
I have not tried another power supply for the reason that this is not a failure it is corruption due to my house power going off while it was updating. But are you asking because of the refusal to shut down? Does the Syno send a command to the power supply to shut down? I would be extremely grateful if while you are helping me you could tell me a bit about the system as well as I love to learn, I also have a DS920 I will try the power supply from that and let you know if it helps with the shutdown.
I have never seen a response on the log when I press the shutdown button HOWEVER I do get a Power has been unplugged, when I pull the dc connection out to shut it down. Bob
Can I ask. Currently how are you getting the logs? Through L:AN?
-- post merged: --

Hi Ray, you have lost me mate, you say log in as root user, do you mean with putty? also I was just looking at the downgrade the OS you linked me to and it starts with SSH into the disk station. I can do niether, you know this nas will not start up don't you? you said you were going to read the logs I gave you, not only will the power switch not turn it off, I have no network connection, It cannot be found with Syno assistant, how am I to do what you are asking?
And if you look at the bottom of your NAS do you see a little whole some where? Usually on DS1515+ or other models, is a rubber oblong plug.

Might be next to the feet. Those weird oblong holes. You should see a 6 pin connector

Also all my logs I have posted for you are done with a serial ttl cable from the serial port on the edge of the board, how do you think I got the logs?

I am totally confused now, are you sure this post was intended for me, the guy with the DS418 that will not start because it has a corruption due to power off during update?
Locate the power button. And just under it by the feet. on the bottom. Do you see a 6 pin connector?

Can I ask. Currently how are you getting the logs? Through L:AN?

And if you look at the bottom of your NAS do you see a little whole some where? Usually on DS1515+ or other models, is a rubber oblong plug.

Might be next to the feet. Those weird oblong holes. You should see a 6 pin connector

Locate the power button. And just under it by the feet. on the bottom. Do you see a 6 pin connector?
Hi Ray I told you earlier the unit is not in it's case and yes I am using the edge connector serial port for the logs, to save me typing everything again please see my post in answer to you one asking me to log in as root user , I edited it and added information

Also all my logs I have posted for you are done with a serial ttl cable from the serial port on the edge of the board, how do you think I got the logs? Well I say it's a serial cable, it is but it's a unit called Bus Pirate and when Bus pirate is configured, you will see the Bus Pirate configuration at the start of the logs, Bus Pirate allows me to enter commands from the keyboard, I have so far only pressed enter while booting to get to the Uboot menu and I have tried things in there. But if I let it boot until it stops with the error messages, It will not let me type anything else.
Is there a way of logging on I don't know yet via the cable then?

I am totally confused now, and if I try the downgrade operating system above how do I load it on a machine that will not boot to completion?

Hi Ray I told you earlier the unit is not in it's case and yes I am using the edge connector serial port for the logs, to save me typing everything again please see my post in answer to you one asking me to log in as root user , I edited it and added information
To log in as root, since you are already in through serial. On your keyboard, just hit enter a few times, and the request to login will pop up. Is your keyboard given feedback to your typing? Are you in Australia? Curious?

I haven't done this yet. But have you tried to boot yet USB. I know many of the non-plus units have usb boot capabilities.

Last edited:
To log in as root, since you are already in through serial. On your keyboard, just hit enter a few times, and the request to login will pop up. Is your keyboard given feedback to your typing? Are you in Australia? Curious?
No in the UK, As I have described above when the DS completes it's boot to the point at which it fails it kind of freezes the terminal and I cannot type anything, if I interupt the boot by pressing esc quickly at switch on and can get to the prompt I can type stuff, but I don't know what mode I am in, but if I type help I get the uboot menu

I haven't done this yet. But have you tried to boot yet USB. I know many of the non-plus units have usb boot capabilities.

When I was in the uboot menu it had an option to load a linux recovery from USB, I ran it and it searched the two ports for a drive, (I connected one) and when it found it , it said it was unable to find the (Then it gave a file name for recovery which I haven't got)
With regards to your question I don't think it looks for anything on the usb during boot but I have nothing to put on usb to try and boot it from there anyway.
I see your link, I will look at that.
With respect you are jumping all over the place Ray, I think the only way this unit will be repaired is with a logical working together one step at a time approach, at the moment I have log in as root, make a usb boot, downgrade the operating system, but no clear instructions on any of them

I was just looking at the method for making the usb drive, at one point it's talking about loading the recovery iso on the drive and gives this command "dd if=Synology-Recovery-Media.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=1M"
What device is that command being given on? if it's supposed to be the DS I can't do it on mine as it cannot download anything as it's network port is not working, If it's on a linux computer, well I haven't got one?

Last edited:
I'm feeling a bit useless at the moment, you must be thinking what's this idiot doing trying to recover the DS without a Linux PC to work with. Not much I can do about that. I might be able to create the USB with my linux satellite box using putty as an interface I will try that tomorrow.

Edit: It's like everything is out to stop me recovering this thing. I have just followed the instructions, went to their website and downloaded the OS, then went to the desktop utilities tab to download the
"Synology Active Backup for Business Recovery Media Creator (Synology-Recovery-Media.iso), and click Download."
It does not exist!!

No in the UK, As I have described above when the DS completes it's boot to the point at which it fails it kind of freezes the terminal and I cannot type anything, if I interupt the boot by pressing esc quickly at switch on and can get to the prompt I can type stuff, but I don't know what mode I am in, but if I type help I get the uboot menu

When I was in the uboot menu it had an option to load a linux recovery from USB, I ran it and it searched the two ports for a drive, (I connected one) and when it found it , it said it was unable to find the (Then it gave a file name for recovery which I haven't got)
With regards to your question I don't think it looks for anything on the usb during boot but I have nothing to put on usb to try and boot it from there anyway.
I see your link, I will look at that.
With respect you are jumping all over the place Ray, I think the only way this unit will be repaired is with a logical working together one step at a time approach, at the moment I have log in as root, make a usb boot, downgrade the operating system, but no clear instructions on any of them

I was just looking at the method for making the usb drive, at one point it's talking about loading the recovery iso on the drive and gives this command "dd if=Synology-Recovery-Media.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=1M"
What device is that command being given on? if it's supposed to be the DS I can't do it on mine as it cannot download anything as it's network port is not working, If it's on a linux computer, well I haven't got one?
Hi Bob,
OK. Its very strange you can't do much from the keyboard side.
But I have a better idea, in place of juggling messages here mate. Lets plan a whatsapp call. If its ok with you.
Like tomorrow maybe? I'm -6GMT. And you are GMT. LOL! or 0GMT. There is a way to get ahold of me directly. From my web located at synologyonline. Once you see me. Then you will see how to get ahold of me direct. Not sure they allow this here. It is also in my profile here to contact me. This way we can walk through quite a few things. And test a few things. Sound like a plan? Let me know? And Thanks!---Ray

I'm feeling a bit useless at the moment, you must be thinking what's this idiot doing trying to recover the DS without a Linux PC to work with. Not much I can do about that. I might be able to create the USB with my linux satellite box using putty as an interface I will try that tomorrow.

Edit: It's like everything is out to stop me recovering this thing. I have just followed the instructions, went to their website and downloaded the OS, then went to the desktop utilities tab to download the
"Synology Active Backup for Business Recovery Media Creator (Synology-Recovery-Media.iso), and click Download."
It does not exist!!
By the way. This is a normal log for a DS1813+ I just finished servicing this unit. To give you insight of what a log looks like. My testing is the very end of the log. Where you see "DiskStation login: root", log in a root. As the date too is JAN 1. So my password is 101-0101. But your log should have similarities after it starts to cycle. As I work on non-plus units as well. Their logs are different. But contain much the same info.,

Attachments

• DS1813+.txt
    81.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
By the way. This is a normal log for a DS1813+ I just finished servicing this unit. To give you insight of what a log looks like. My testing is the very end of the log. Where you see "DiskStation login: root", log in a root. As the date too is JAN 1. So my password is 101-0101. But your log should have similarities after it starts to cycle. As I work on non-plus units as well. Their logs are different. But contain much the same info.,
Good morning Ray. I have had a good look at the log and I see where you logged in as root and ran the Netstat and mem commands, and of course the Poweroff at the end, and the response.
I understand everything you say to me, it's just that as I explained when we first met I am not a Linux man and I don't know how to do a lot of the things you take for granted, if you explain how to do it I will pick it up very fast.
With the greatest of respect and I certainly don't want to upset you as you are so kindly helping me but the largest part of the problem at the moment is that you do not read what I say to you and I am constantly repeating, or if my tests mean I have posted two or more posts you are not looking back to see if there is more than one reply from me. I tried to get around it by editing the same message and adding to it, but then found that once you have skimmed it you don't read it again.
Ok well I took in everything you said, it's just gone eleven in the morning here so it's about five am where you are so I have time to do some test and write you a report before you are about.

My first task will be to try the power supply off the DS920 to see if that makes any difference to the no shutdown problem, if it does then I will re do the resets you showed me and see what that does.

I will then have another go at trying to get rout access now you have shown me how to do it, you say to use a serial ttl lead, now the strange thing is that I was using it but when I did I could not type anything at all, I couldn't even do the esc to get to the Uboot menu. That's why I purchased the Bus Pirate pcb, now I have that it at least allows me to type, it does loads of other wonderful things too you might want to have a look at it, I don't understand half of it, they are on Utube.

With regards to the downgrading the software stuff, I will do anything rather than have a none working unit, but as I said the first instruction was to SSH into the box, well I have no network connection to the box, strange as you can see the network drivers being loaded in the log, but I cannot see the unit on my network, I tested the workshop cable etc by connecting the DS920 and could see that ok. I also tried to set up a tftp server on my windows pc and load zimage directly into memory thinking maybe it would boot, but I could not get a connection to the pc and server through the network port?

The Snology USB recovery looks wonderful and just what we need, trouble is the bastards have removed the file from the desktop tab on their website to stop us repairing our own units, as you say, they want us to buy another one. When I asked technical for help I was told straight they only help customers who's units are under guarantee and actually told me my board is destroyed go and buy another one! Bloody criminals!

So I think that was all the plans you came up with, also I read this at the end of the Synology page

Symptoms​

• During the boot process, your Debian or Ubuntu system displays this or a similar error message:
    khKernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block()"

They say. The kernel initramfs image in your backup does not contain the required block device kernel modules (drivers) for the target device.

• Resolution​

Debian and Ubuntu systems​

Boot up your system.
    In the GRUB menu, go to Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux or Advanced options for Ubuntu.
    1. Select a kernel that ends in (recovery mode).
    2. In Ubuntu, go to root and press enter. (In Debian, continue with step 5.)
    3. Enter your root password or press enter again to enter the command line as root.
    4. To update the system’s initramfs, enter the command: update-initramfs -u -k $(uname -r)
    5. Reboot your system.
    Trouble is they also say this

• This solution requires that your machines mounts the /boot directory and only works in rescue mode. If your system boots into emergency mode, you can try the following steps to boot in rescue mode:
    1. Reboot the machine.
    2. In the GRUB menu, press the e key to edit your boot settings.
    3. Add the following parameter:
      systemd.unit=rescue.target
    4. Press ctrl + x to save and reboot the system.
      I can only try these things if I can get a root, and I am not sure if my machine has mounted the boot directory? and I do not know if I am in rescue or emergency mode? How do you tell?
    With regards to what you say about Whatsapp, I have never used it and Having looked at you website I can see you do this for a living and it's not fair that I take up your time on that, Plus I am 70 years old and on a pension so I could not pay you, things are tough over here with the stupid criminals we have in government at the moment. Also I would be extremely nervous and feel under pressure if you were on the screen giving me instructions. I would much rather work at a leisurely pace with messages if you are still willing to help me. anything which you do not want the world to see you could PM me or email me at wedgehog2@gmail, am I allowed to put an email on here? oh well!!
    I really do appreciate your help Ray but if you feel it's taking too much of your time that's fine by me mate. Bob

Ok I Powered up the DS with the power supply from the 920, power switch still does nothing and it came on as soon as it was connected. I waited until it finished what booting it does and pressed enter several times, nothing! tried typing something, nothing!
unplugged it and powered on again this time I press the "ESC" key and enter the Uboot menu mode tried there this is the result

Enter console mode, disable watchdog ...
Realtek> poweroff
Unknown command 'poweroff' - try 'help'
Realtek>

So now I bring up menu and select the shutdown command
Realtek> syno_pwoff
Shutdown DS
1Realtek>

As you see it responds with "Shutdown DS" problem is it doesn't, it's still running!
In case you wish to see the available commands in the menu here it is.

Realtek> help
b2ndbc - load 2nd stage bootcode
bdinfo - print Board Info structure
bootm - boot application image from memory
bootr - boot realtek platform
crc32 - checksum calculation
date - get/set/reset date & time
dcache - enable or disable data cache
env - environment handling commands
factory - FACTORY sub system
fatinfo - print information about filesystem
fatload - load binary file from a dos filesystem
fatls - list files in a directory (default /)
fatwrite- write file into a dos filesystem
fdt - flattened device tree utility commands
gettime - get timer val elapsed
go - start application at address 'addr' or start running fw
goru - start rescue linux from usb
gpt - GUID Partition Table
help - print command description/usage
i2c - I2C sub-system
icache - enable or disable instruction cache
keyset - keyset - write keyset file into factory area
loady - load binary file over serial line (ymodem mode)
lzmadec - lzma Decompress from mem to mem
md - memory display
mtest - simple RAM read/write test
mtest2 - simple RAM read/write test
mw - memory write (fill)
ping - send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST to network host
pmic - GMT-G2227 PMIC commands
pwm - Control PWM 0,1,2,3
reset - Perform RESET of the CPU
rtkrng - rng utility
rtkspi - spi flash utility
run - run commands in an environment variable
saveenv - save environment variables to persistent storage
source - run script from memory
syno_pwoff- bring the system down

tftp - download image from TFTP server
tftpput - TFTP put command, for uploading files to a server
uart_write- for uart mp tool burn mac and sn key

unzip - unzip a memory region
usb - USB sub-system

As I cannot get to root I don't know what to do now. Bob

Ok I'm sorry this is turning into a long read
I remember you saying the serial/TTLlead should work and had some benefit, so I re connected mine instead of the Bus Pirate and set about investigating why I couldn't type in the terminal with it, I was using putty's terminal.
Ayway I also had TeraTerm so I tried that, and that allows me to type, strange though no matter how I try I cannot get into the boot menu with it, but I attach a log and if you look right at the very last line you will see the result of trying to get a root
Bob

Attachments

• teraterm.txt
    42.3 KB · Views: 9
Good morning Ray. I have had a good look at the log and I see where you logged in as root and ran the Netstat and mem commands, and of course the Poweroff at the end, and the response.
I understand everything you say to me, it's just that as I explained when we first met I am not a Linux man and I don't know how to do a lot of the things you take for granted, if you explain how to do it I will pick it up very fast.
With the greatest of respect and I certainly don't want to upset you as you are so kindly helping me but the largest part of the problem at the moment is that you do not read what I say to you and I am constantly repeating, or if my tests mean I have posted two or more posts you are not looking back to see if there is more than one reply from me. I tried to get around it by editing the same message and adding to it, but then found that once you have skimmed it you don't read it again.
Ok well I took in everything you said, it's just gone eleven in the morning here so it's about five am where you are so I have time to do some test and write you a report before you are about.

My first task will be to try the power supply off the DS920 to see if that makes any difference to the no shutdown problem, if it does then I will re do the resets you showed me and see what that does.

I will then have another go at trying to get rout access now you have shown me how to do it, you say to use a serial ttl lead, now the strange thing is that I was using it but when I did I could not type anything at all, I couldn't even do the esc to get to the Uboot menu. That's why I purchased the Bus Pirate pcb, now I have that it at least allows me to type, it does loads of other wonderful things too you might want to have a look at it, I don't understand half of it, they are on Utube.

With regards to the downgrading the software stuff, I will do anything rather than have a none working unit, but as I said the first instruction was to SSH into the box, well I have no network connection to the box, strange as you can see the network drivers being loaded in the log, but I cannot see the unit on my network, I tested the workshop cable etc by connecting the DS920 and could see that ok. I also tried to set up a tftp server on my windows pc and load zimage directly into memory thinking maybe it would boot, but I could not get a connection to the pc and server through the network port?

The Snology USB recovery looks wonderful and just what we need, trouble is the bastards have removed the file from the desktop tab on their website to stop us repairing our own units, as you say, they want us to buy another one. When I asked technical for help I was told straight they only help customers who's units are under guarantee and actually told me my board is destroyed go and buy another one! Bloody criminals!

So I think that was all the plans you came up with, also I read this at the end of the Synology page

Symptoms​

• During the boot process, your Debian or Ubuntu system displays this or a similar error message:
    khKernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block()"

They say. The kernel initramfs image in your backup does not contain the required block device kernel modules (drivers) for the target device.

• Resolution​

Debian and Ubuntu systems​

Boot up your system.
    In the GRUB menu, go to Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux or Advanced options for Ubuntu.
    1. Select a kernel that ends in (recovery mode).
    2. In Ubuntu, go to root and press enter. (In Debian, continue with step 5.)
    3. Enter your root password or press enter again to enter the command line as root.
    4. To update the system’s initramfs, enter the command: update-initramfs -u -k $(uname -r)
    5. Reboot your system.
    Trouble is they also say this

• This solution requires that your machines mounts the /boot directory and only works in rescue mode. If your system boots into emergency mode, you can try the following steps to boot in rescue mode:
    1. Reboot the machine.
    2. In the GRUB menu, press the e key to edit your boot settings.
    3. Add the following parameter:
      systemd.unit=rescue.target
    4. Press ctrl + x to save and reboot the system.
      I can only try these things if I can get a root, and I am not sure if my machine has mounted the boot directory? and I do not know if I am in rescue or emergency mode? How do you tell?
    With regards to what you say about Whatsapp, I have never used it and Having looked at you website I can see you do this for a living and it's not fair that I take up your time on that, Plus I am 70 years old and on a pension so I could not pay you, things are tough over here with the stupid criminals we have in government at the moment. Also I would be extremely nervous and feel under pressure if you were on the screen giving me instructions. I would much rather work at a leisurely pace with messages if you are still willing to help me. anything which you do not want the world to see you could PM me or email me at wedgehog2@gmail, am I allowed to put an email on here? oh well!!
    I really do appreciate your help Ray but if you feel it's taking too much of your time that's fine by me mate. Bob

Ok I Powered up the DS with the power supply from the 920, power switch still does nothing and it came on as soon as it was connected. I waited until it finished what booting it does and pressed enter several times, nothing! tried typing something, nothing!
unplugged it and powered on again this time I press the "ESC" key and enter the Uboot menu mode tried there this is the result

Enter console mode, disable watchdog ...
Realtek> poweroff
Unknown command 'poweroff' - try 'help'
Realtek>

So now I bring up menu and select the shutdown command
Realtek> syno_pwoff
Shutdown DS
1Realtek>

As you see it responds with "Shutdown DS" problem is it doesn't, it's still running!
In case you wish to see the available commands in the menu here it is.

Realtek> help
b2ndbc - load 2nd stage bootcode
bdinfo - print Board Info structure
bootm - boot application image from memory
bootr - boot realtek platform
crc32 - checksum calculation
date - get/set/reset date & time
dcache - enable or disable data cache
env - environment handling commands
factory - FACTORY sub system
fatinfo - print information about filesystem
fatload - load binary file from a dos filesystem
fatls - list files in a directory (default /)
fatwrite- write file into a dos filesystem
fdt - flattened device tree utility commands
gettime - get timer val elapsed
go - start application at address 'addr' or start running fw
goru - start rescue linux from usb
gpt - GUID Partition Table
help - print command description/usage
i2c - I2C sub-system
icache - enable or disable instruction cache
keyset - keyset - write keyset file into factory area
loady - load binary file over serial line (ymodem mode)
lzmadec - lzma Decompress from mem to mem
md - memory display
mtest - simple RAM read/write test
mtest2 - simple RAM read/write test
mw - memory write (fill)
ping - send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST to network host
pmic - GMT-G2227 PMIC commands
pwm - Control PWM 0,1,2,3
reset - Perform RESET of the CPU
rtkrng - rng utility
rtkspi - spi flash utility
run - run commands in an environment variable
saveenv - save environment variables to persistent storage
source - run script from memory
syno_pwoff- bring the system down

tftp - download image from TFTP server
tftpput - TFTP put command, for uploading files to a server
uart_write- for uart mp tool burn mac and sn key

unzip - unzip a memory region
usb - USB sub-system

As I cannot get to root I don't know what to do now. Bob

Ok I'm sorry this is turning into a long read
I remember you saying the serial/TTLlead should work and had some benefit, so I re connected mine instead of the Bus Pirate and set about investigating why I couldn't type in the terminal with it, I was using putty's terminal.
Ayway I also had TeraTerm so I tried that, and that allows me to type, strange though no matter how I try I cannot get into the boot menu with it, but I attach a log and if you look right at the very last line you will see the result of trying to get a root
Bob
I'll reply soon mate. Whatsapp allows us to make a long distance call free. And my service to help you is free. So don't worry about that. Again my apologies in the beginning as tackling a few things at one time I'm not good at, so I miss a couple of earlier tests you did repeatedly. Again. My apologies. I just skimmed over this text you just did above. And will respond better when I go over it thoroughly, and your logs. And correct. You saw my testing in that sample log. And I'm glad you can type now. Since this board is a non-plus unit. The worse case scenario in cases like this we reprogram the rom externally. As the PAT flash image on units like this are stored on a soldered chip in place of a daughter board on plus units. Unless you see a daughter board on yours. As I have no reference material of this model on me. As we rarely ever see it. Let alone it is a non-plus unit. Now you may think to recover the rom will fix this. But the chip or software corrupted somehow, so in shop we believe the chip is bad no matter what, and take no future risks,, and replace it after a copy of its made. And that new firmware from the pat is reinstalled. As even if you do restore it. It can fail again if the chip itself is bad. Let me know what app you use for long distance calls. Maybe we can setup a chat session or skype, or Teams. And again I'm helping for free. So no worries mate. I'm old too. So 70 isn't too far from me. LOL! OK. Again/ Let me review in detail later this message you wrote above, and reply asap.. Thanks!-Ray

I'll reply soon mate. Whatsapp allows us to make a long distance call free. And my service to help you is free. So don't worry about that. Again my apologies in the beginning as tackling a few things at one time I'm not good at, so I miss a couple of earlier tests you did repeatedly. Again. My apologies. I just skimmed over this text you just did above. And will respond better when I go over it thoroughly, and your logs. And correct. You saw my testing in that sample log. And I'm glad you can type now. Since this board is a non-plus unit. The worse case scenario in cases like this we reprogram the rom externally. As the PAT flash image on units like this are stored on a soldered chip in place of a daughter board on plus units. Unless you see a daughter board on yours. As I have no reference material of this model on me. As we rarely ever see it. Let alone it is a non-plus unit. Now you may think to recover the rom will fix this. But the chip or software corrupted somehow, so in shop we believe the chip is bad no matter what, and take no future risks,, and replace it after a copy of its made. And that new firmware from the pat is reinstalled. As even if you do restore it. It can fail again if the chip itself is bad. Let me know what app you use for long distance calls. Maybe we can setup a chat session or skype, or Teams. And again I'm helping for free. So no worries mate. I'm old too. So 70 isn't too far from me. LOL! OK. Again/ Let me review in detail later this message you wrote above, and reply asap.. Thanks!-Ray
Hi Ray, no problem I look forward to your reply. Meanwhile may I point out that somewhere above in the early days of our messages I did explain to you that the 64k flash rom is soldered to the board on mine and that I had removed it several times with my hot air rework station and flashed it with a file I constructed myself, If you remember you commented on my asking Synology if they would sell me a pre programmed chip, but they refused, so as I am unable to open the encrypted 711 pat files I got an older version of DSM and extracted the files from the PAT and created a flash file by putting Uboot at 00, Zimage and DR.gz at the same positions as they were in, in the original flash I had read from the chip. I said to you that I was concerned I had not got them at the correct offsets. and even more recently when you asked me to do the reset tests I asked if you wanted me to put back the original flash and try it again!!!, This is my point Ray it's having to repeat everything over and over which makes this difficult, I don't see how talking on the computer will make it any easier, as you can pass a lot more information when speaking and unless I have it written I cannot study it and figure out exactly what you want me to do and get it clear in my mind, if you tell me on the whatsapp or something I will forget the details.
If you think the original flash is corrupt as I did, and this is why I tried to rebuild it, then would it be possible for you to email me or something a flash file I can just write to the flash chip so we know it has been correctly laid out. I can pm you my s/n and Mac number for it mate.

Hi Ray, no problem I look forward to your reply. Meanwhile may I point out that somewhere above in the early days of our messages I did explain to you that the 64k flash rom is soldered to the board on mine and that I had removed it several times with my hot air rework station and flashed it with a file I constructed myself, If you remember you commented on my asking Synology if they would sell me a pre programmed chip, but they refused, so as I am unable to open the encrypted 711 pat files I got an older version of DSM and extracted the files from the PAT and created a flash file by putting Uboot at 00, Zimage and DR.gz at the same positions as they were in, in the original flash I had read from the chip. I said to you that I was concerned I had not got them at the correct offsets. and even more recently when you asked me to do the reset tests I asked if you wanted me to put back the original flash and try it again!!!, This is my point Ray it's having to repeat everything over and over which makes this difficult, I don't see how talking on the computer will make it any easier, as you can pass a lot more information when speaking and unless I have it written I cannot study it and figure out exactly what you want me to do and get it clear in my mind, if you tell me on the whatsapp or something I will forget the details.
If you think the original flash is corrupt as I did, and this is why I tried to rebuild it, then would it be possible for you to email me or something a flash file I can just write to the flash chip so we know it has been correctly laid out. I can pm you my s/n and Mac number for it mate.
We already discussed my apologies over the message errors. And I'm I am trying to help you. So what ever errors I make. I don't have to help, and you won't need me any more. And I may ask again, or again, a repeat, something, as a tech, we do this alot. As our brains are more analytical in sorting situations, than say a secretary who files papers in a order history.
End of that story.

Now. I am sending you a link to a set of files. I have even more files. As I still haven't reviewed your logs yet still. Now these files are not the DS418 files, but its sister files the DS218. You can still use these. No matter what DSM they are on. As we do this in testing, and grab the closest files we can get. You can install these direct, with no changes. Though the mac address and what not will be off. Lets even see if it can boot, and run these. Its a mix of bin files. Internally the DS218 and DS418, are the exact same unit, other than 2 extra drive bays. But the motherboard chip population is the same, Same CPU, same LAN, etc. I currently don't have the exact same for this model, as I don't see it often in the shop. I want you to play with these. And let me know what happens. Always keep a copy of the OEM file on the drive. Just in case. And it can always be out back on the chip.
Here is the link to get these files:
Download link
https://we.tl/t-gG0n7YLv43

We already discussed my apologies over the message errors. And I'm I am trying to help you. So what ever errors I make. I don't have to help, and you won't need me any more. And I may ask again, or again, a repeat, something, as a tech, we do this alot. As our brains are more analytical in sorting situations, than say a secretary who files papers in a order history.
End of that story.

Now. I am sending you a link to a set of files. I have even more files. As I still haven't reviewed your logs yet still. Now these files are not the DS418 files, but its sister files the DS218. You can still use these. No matter what DSM they are on. As we do this in testing, and grab the closest files we can get. You can install these direct, with no changes. Though the mac address and what not will be off. Lets even see if it can boot, and run these. Its a mix of bin files. Internally the DS218 and DS418, are the exact same unit, other than 2 extra drive bays. But the motherboard chip population is the same, Same CPU, same LAN, etc. I currently don't have the exact same for this model, as I don't see it often in the shop. I want you to play with these. And let me know what happens. Always keep a copy of the OEM file on the drive. Just in case. And it can always be out back on the chip.
Here is the link to get these files:
Download link
https://we.tl/t-gG0n7YLv43
Ok Ray will do, Will let you know what happens and thank you. Yes I have the original file I read from the rom tucked away safely, in fact two copies of it, but I am convinced it's corrupt as when you read the log carefully it actually states there is corrupt data. Bob

Another file I have

Attachments

• BIOS Readout DSM 7.zip
    13.8 MB · Views: 37
Another file I have
Good morning Ray, three o'clock in the afternoon here :cool: Ok so I have removed the rom and flashed it with the file called "Bios unit neu" The nas is now working perfectly as a 218, the shut down button works perfectly and I can see it on the network asking for a disk.
If the criminals at Synology had sold me a flash as I asked them it would have been done weeks ago, instead they want to force me to spend over £300.00 on a new unit, if they were in the UK Trading standards would have their operating license.
Anyway I don't want to put my disks in with my data on as there are three of them and this is now a two disk unit, so I fitted a blank disk to slot 1 and clicked on "connect again" it spent some time but returned to please insert a disk I guess the two disk driver does not like the four disk setup.
Anyway having proved the only problem is a corrupted flash how do we turn it back to a 418 please.
Log attached and it contains two runs with a shut down from the switch when I fitted the hard disk

Attachments

• teraterm.txt
    96.3 KB · Views: 15

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.