File copy speeds (again)

NAS
DS118
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Have a question about my file copy speeds. I'm setting up a DS218play NAS, I'm copying about 5 TB of video, music, photo and data files from an internal WD RED drive to the DS218play via a gigabit ethernet network (the computer, router, switch and NAS are gigabit). I'm using Widows 10 with an i7-4790 CPU and file explorer to move the files. My file transfer speeds are around 10MB/s so it's taking almost a week!!!

Anybody know why the transfer speeds are so slow?

Thanks in advance.

You might want to check Control Panel -> Network -> Tab "Network Interfaces" and click on the arrow symbol to unfold the details to check the "Network Status".

10MB/s pretty much sound like the network interace operates in 100mbps mode. Though, it could also be the computer's network interface or the switch port itself... or a damaged cable.

Hmm..... interesting. When I checked the network, it says connected at 100mbps. I'm using CAT5E cable throughout the house, which should be fine with gigabit ethernet but the cable from the switch to the NAS is an older, thinner cable. I'll replace that and report back.

Thanks!

OK, I replaced the old thin network cable with a new CAT5e patch cable and the network status is now 1000Mbps. But I'm still getting only 10MBps file transfer rates (?!)

Yep, computer is an ASUS Gryphon with Intel I217-LM gigabit ethernet controller, Router is a gigabit Netgear R7000, switch is a gigabit Netgear GS116 and the DS218play, of course, is gigabit.

So the link between your client machine and the switch is detected as 1000mbps? There was never any doubt your hardware would not support gbps. Though, with the replaced cat5e cable you have experienced yourself that sometimes elements in the chain cause unexpected behavior.

So the link between your client machine and the switch is detected as 1000mbps? There was never any doubt your hardware would not support gbps. Though, with the replaced cat5e cable you have experienced yourself that sometimes elements in the chain cause unexpected behavior.
Well, all I have is the status reported from the DS218 control panel. How would I test between the computer and the router/switch?

Unmanaged. No idea where to find this in Windoze!
-- post merged: --

Wonders of wonders..... I searched for network speed and found it - 1000/1000 Mbps!

Now what?

Last edited:
By chance, do you see a network icon in the bottom right? If I am not mistaken the informations should be displayed, once you hover over it with the mouse.

But then again: haven't used a wired connection for my windows laptops since ages. My current laptop doesn't even have a build in lan interface. All my other machines are esxi/linux machines, so I realy have no idea.. I am sure someone else has :)
-- post merged: --

Now what?
Great question. I assume that you use one or more big files in your tests, and they still peak at 10MB/s? Small files will allways kill transfer speed, as the overhead becomes radiculous huge.

I am afraid this is for someone else to answer. I can't see a reason why transfer should be maxed out at 10MB/s. These days, every none usb-pen drive should easily read/write at a significantly higher rate.

Yes, if I click on the network icon it eventually takes me to Windows 10 network settings and the 1000/1000 Mbps rating.

Lets see if there are any other ideas.

Well, just a quick update. I rebooted all of my equipment (computer, router, switch and NAS) and guess what: I'm getting transfer speeds of 1000MBps now! No idea what the deal is but I guess when I want to transfer files in the future, I'll need to reboot all the equipment first.

Well, just a quick update. I rebooted all of my equipment (computer, router, switch and NAS) and guess what: I'm getting transfer speeds of 1000MBps now! No idea what the deal is but I guess when I want to transfer files in the future, I'll need to reboot all the equipment first.
so how is the realtime transfer speed now? 20 MB/s, 50MB/s or >100MB/s?

PS: If I were you I would first take shortest cable to NAS, to eliminate hardware issue, and if then software/setting issue.

It keeps going down 10 10MBPS. I restart the router and it's back up to 100MBPS. The router keeps dropping down to 10mbps. I think there might be some issue with the ethernet cable (Cat 5e about 50-60 feet) from the router to the switch.

I had strange speed and connect issues last year... Traced to Crap EBAY Cables purchased from multiple sellers... Labeled CAT6, they would consistently drop from GB to 100Mb, and have inconsistent data transfer speeds.
I only had a LED Cable tester, and those cables passed....
I eventually bought a cheapie Managed Switch that had a cable test routine in it... (GS105EV2) and that pointed out those EBAY Cables as "Impediance MisMatch" failures.... Checked ALL CABLES.... Pitching bad, replacing with tested NEW cables...
That was 6 months ago..... NARY A PROBLEM SINCE THEN! (Learn from my mistakes!)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.