Currently reading
Solved File download speed

NAS
DS418
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi folks, new Synology (and this forum) user, finally gave up on HP MSS and WHS V1.. I have searched this site for answers but have not found a full answer yet. Thanx for listening, love this brain trust.. Background - Purchased DS418, added 4 2TB seagate IW NAS ST2000VN004 drives. Loaded HTTPS security. I am now beginning to restore my files from my PC HDD's to the DS418.

My issue is how long this is taking. My first action was to restore my photos (921GB). Did drag and drop, File station was estimating 58 days to complete... (Really?) new something was amiss... I found one thread here that recommended the better SMB settings, and turning off transport encryption... that helped dramatically, now estimate for remaining 810GB is 9days/15 hours.. Still a long time? looks like I am running about 1mb/sec with that estimate. The file station graph (and mouse over on upload icon) jumps around a lot... from 5kb up to 20mb? Is this transfer speed normal?

I am using a Netgear GB switch, pc (windows) and DS both show network as 1GB. Using SHR on my DS volume.

PS... my new DS folders are full of the MODD files from my Sony RX100 camera, I don't remember seeing those on my MSS? I understand their definition.. just seems like they are a new artifact on my DS...

Thank you for the assistance!!

DataGeek...

Welcome.

SMB settings in DSM are what (min/max level)? Also, have you tried not using FS but rather just map the shared folder from syno to your Win machine and copy them that way?

Be sure that the transfer of a large set of small files will take a long time compared to the same size of data with only a few files.

Thanx for reply Rusty.. I attached the SMB settings, and am testing the mapped drive (explorer) transfer method...

Attachments

• SMB Info.pdf
    216.6 KB · Views: 489
Looks like the windows explorer copy using mapped DS drive is transferring at about 72 mb/s... A huge improvement... now estimating about 9 hours for my 921Gb Photo files. The tiny Modd files do slow the transfer rate down a lot... Thank you for this recc... I'm surprised I didn't see this option mentioned in the DMS help files?

A follow on question is how long it might take me DS418 server to parse/write the files via SHR? Is this a background process? Can I see this progress anywhere? Or have I somehow negated SHR thru this copy technique? On my old MSS there was a function called "folder duplication" where I could see this process of protecting my data from Drive loss, it was time consuming. Is this why File Station file transfers take so long?

for better speed you can play also with frame packet size:
Control panel/Network/Network interface:
MTU: ....
it’s up to your network architecture (switch and also PC network card). You can play with two basic setup values 1500 or Jumbo 9000. There isn’t a general advice, because it’s very individual. You can get up to + 30% max. of speed. Or lose.
Question if the switch is managed, then additional setup is possible there.
Same settings you have to setup for your Network card in PC (MTU).

when you will use Btrfs FS you will get some future advantage, then you can stop the transfer and change the FS, when you have setup for ext4.

Another point is right file services (for transfer or sync) usage for right purpose. For file transfer from a host to NAS or back is NFS faster than SMB. But it’s up to your Win version if you have this possibility.
There is also possible to use iSCSI, what is faster than NFS, but there is different purpose in my case (virtual machines store).

Then there is also rsync, what is perfect for another kind of service (sync between two folders or host).
You will find lot of useful posts here.
Enjoy!

looks like DSM (SHR) is parsing the copied images, See attached pix of progress... at 4% it looks like it will run awhile... exactly what I would have expected, all 4 drive LED's are blinking away... will assume this will run in background till complete...

Attachments

• Image Progress.pdf
    242.8 KB · Views: 151
Thanx Jeyare! The file system "file transfer" options (right one for right need) will be a learning curve for me but am up to the fire hose! I don't see any EXT4 options in FS? SHR seems to dictate btfrs? (at setup?, but can be changed later for a specific need?).. I'll try to search the forum for some baseline learnin too... TY!

looks like DSM (SHR) is parsing the copied images, See attached pix of progress... at 4% it looks like it will run awhile... exactly what I would have expected, all 4 drive LED's are blinking away... will assume this will run in background till complete...
it’s indexing (and will last till next ice age for you) and Syno Media server file conversions (low res images,...) up to your setup.
You can untick - Transmit low resolution images instead of the original images.

Thanx Jeyare! The file system "file transfer" options (right one for right need) will be a learning curve for me but am up to the fire hose! I don't see any EXT4 options in FS? SHR seems to dictate btfrs? (at setup?, but can be changed later for a specific need?).. I'll try to search the forum for some baseline learnin too... TY!

Storage manager/Volume:
F2B8C9E3-8C4C-471D-9AE4-5034736C40E9.jpeg

When you don’t have the Btrfs, you can recreate new volume (but you will lose data stored there):
  1. On your DSM, go to Storage Manager > Volume and click Create.
  2. Select the Quick or Custom mode depending on your needs. Click Next.
  3. Select a storage pool on which the volume will be created and click Next.
  4. Allocate the volume capacity and click Next.
  5. Select the Btrfs file system and click Next.
  6. Confirm the settings and click Apply.

it’s indexing (and will last till next ice age for you) and Syno Media server file conversions (low res images,...) up to your setup.
You can untick - Transmit low resolution images instead of the original images.

J?, Where do I find this option?

All of my photo files shave been transferred to my DS, now indexing is taking forever? Looks hung? See attachment. This seems a lot more complex, time consuming, than I had expected.. does it get batter?

Attachments

• Indexing Hung.JPG
    Indexing Hung.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 60
Ok, think I understand indexing better, its just for special app use.. thumbnail generation, My settings are set to "Normal quality"... i'll assume this will finish "this year"? My photo files are still in the photo folder for my use... and they are protected by SHR-1 volume config...

J, my single volume, SHR-1 is set to BTRFS... The windows explorer file copy to mapped DS folders solved my download speed issue...

Lets call this thread solved.. i'll post new if needed... TYTYTY!!!

some of quick wins for you when you will use btrfs:
- free of charge complex backup all of your Windows devices (unlimited). You need just install Active Backup for Business package (AB4B). There is plan for Lnx and Mac OS also.
- currently Syno fix the important bug, then this part of backup system is really useful. Just for you, when you will find some critical post in this forum.
Because backup is one of the priorities for use of NASes. Don’t hesitate to try it.
- another hidden features as e.g. Data Scrubbing (needs to be enabled in Storage manager).
- And Snapshots .... but for this level it’s enough.

Re backup and RAID:
don’t expected that RAID will backup your data. You will find here more threads about external backups services (cloud), external backup devices (ext. hdd, another NAS,...). All is about your data value and business model, or relation with your home CFO :) .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.