DSM 7.0 file name extensions

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 file name extensions

DS Video always shows me the video file extension; e.g. "TITLE.mp4"
Is there any way to hide the file extension in the app?

Not sure, some ideas:

What type of library are you using? Movie, TV, or Other. If Other it may using whatever info is available.

Are there any embedded meta tags it could have used? Or none?

Have you registered for a Movies DB API key so you can access that for tags?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

Using movie library.
Using TMDB API.
Don’t believe there are any tags.

Even though I only use the actual title, the app shows (adds) the “.mp4” as part of the title. Is there any “hide extension” in DS Video?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Not sure, some ideas:

What type of library are you using? Movie, TV, or Other. If Other it may using whatever info is available.

Another oddity: I have 2 titles displayed. One pulled from the API and a second that is showing the actual file name. So, how do I hide the file name in SA Video?
-- post merged: --

It shouldn’t be showing the extension. Is it all files, some, or one?
All.
The API gives me “TITLE”
Right below that it shows “TITLE.mp4”

Upvote 0
Not sure, some ideas:

Narrowing it down. The anomaly only shows in the Folder view. Apparently DS Video is categorizing all the .mp4 videos as a "folder."

Upvote 0
The Folder View, show you files and folders. That's normal.

You should keep every film on a dedicated folder: MOVIE NAME (MOVIE YEAR)/MOVIE NAME (MOVIE YEAR).EXTENSION

And use the others view to show the film with their metadata.

Upvote 0
I have two source folders for movie files. The first came from iTunes so it has each movie file in its own same named folder. The second source folder has all movie files and their .srt subtitle files dumped together (ie no subfolders).

Within both Video Station and Plex I have both source folders assigned to their respective Movies libraries, and both servers can recognise and match the films.

The subfolder per movie may be recommended but it’s not actually necessary.

Anyway, back to the subject: I’d avoid the folder view except when trying to find it the expected video files have been correctly tagged.

Upvote 0
Yes you are right, the folder is not required.

Is just recommended, because you can better separate the content (video file with eventually also subtitles and custom poster files). And eventually name the folder without article to better sort them.

But if you have a lot of files, is better to split them on folders, for the file system and for the performance.

But anyway, the point is that on the Folder View, you see mainly the file name. And then eventually others info. So the file extension is normal.

Upvote 0
Is just recommended, because you can better separate the content (video file with eventually also subtitles and custom poster files). And eventually name the folder without article to better sort them.
Yes, if you use folder.jpg or similar for artwork then a subfolder is needed. Good point.

But anyway, the point is that on the Folder View, you see mainly the file name. And then eventually others info. So the file extension is normal.
Yup.

Upvote 0
"...you can better separate the content (video file with eventually also subtitles and custom poster files"
I don't understand this. I pull the DVD image from the API, and the subtitles are already part of the DVD. Why/Where are there other subtitles, and what are custom poster files?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I don't understand this. I pull the DVD image from the API, and the subtitles are already part of the DVD. Why/Where are there other subtitles, and what are custom poster files?
For the subtitle, there are two options. Or external file or video format capable to store them inside the same file.

Example for external subtitle:
The Matrix (1999).mkv
The Matrix (1999).eng.srt
The Matrix (1999).ita.srt

About the poster file: sometime the database of the API (like TMDB) don't has the cover/poster image of the movie. In this case you can manually download one from internet and save it on the NAS, then you can manually select it. Or eventually use the standard name to allow the NAS to take it automatically when present.

There is also the Backdrop image, that is the background image of the movie card, available on Video Station and to some DS video app, for example on Google TV.
Also this image is retrieved from the API, but some time you may want to select another or one when not available.

And finally, if you edit the metadata manually. Then Video Station create a .vsmeta file for every edited video files.

So personally I prefer to have a folder for every movie, and put all related content there, also when there is only the video file. Is also a standard on others solution like Plex, Kodi, etc

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back