File/setiings akin to Windows' hosts file?

Currently reading
File/setiings akin to Windows' hosts file?

NAS
DS1817+, DS1821+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Is there any way to define a local "DNS" resolver for a few domains? Like the %WINDIR%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts on Windows?

I don't want to install a complete DNS server on the NAS, but simply want to define a local setting for a few domain names that will be picked up on that machine only.

It can be a file like hosts or a GUI interface in DSM (perfer the latter, but can work with the former).

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
will be picked up on that machine only
So this is for NAS usage (as a machine role)?

/etc/hosts file via SSH might do the trick if this is what you are looking for.

NAS
DS1817+, DS1821+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm not sure I understand what "machine role" is, but if the /etc/hosts file is used identically to the %WINDIR%\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts on Windows, then yes, that's the one I'm looking for.

It's only meant for use on the local NAS, and should be looked into before making an outside DNS lookup (ie. so that I can override a DNS lookup on that NAS only).

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm not sure I understand what "machine role" is, but if the /etc/hosts file is used identically to the %WINDIR%\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts on Windows, then yes, that's the one I'm looking for.

It's only meant for use on the local NAS, and should be looked into before making an outside DNS lookup (ie. so that I can override a DNS lookup on that NAS only).
Try with the location I have written then.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.