File station on new DS218

NAS
DS118
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello: I started with a DS118 and set it up to default settings. It had three packages installed - File Station, Universal search, and OAuth service. It had a single folder - Public and everything is working fine.

So I bought a DS218 for my main server/backup. Set it up, followed the (default) setup instructions and it set up a SHR1 RAID configuration (no options for anything else) and has 12 services installed. How do I set it up for JBOD or RAID 1? Also, do I need all these additional services when File Station, Search, and OAuth fulfill all my needs (based on the DS118). Finally, File Station has 5 folders in the DS218 directory: home, homes, music, photo and video. Why the difference?

Thanks in advance!

Keith

Set it up, followed the (default) setup instructions and it set up a SHR1 RAID configuration
Go to Storage Manager and delete the SHR pool (you may be asked to uninstall optional packages... if so, do so). Then go to Storage Manager and create a new pool/volume. Select JBOD or RAID1 or ??? ...whichever is your preference.

12 services installed
It sounds as though you installed "recommended" packages... List the ones you are concerned with, and we can help explain which are optional. Do not install Audio Station, Video Station, Photo Station, Moments, or activate home service. You can always add these later if you have a need.

Thanks for the quick reply Telos. I couldn't delete the SHR pool so I did a system reset and was able to bypass the package installation. It still defaulted to SHR so I had to delete that and setup as JBOD.

I'm used to the Western Digital OS3 NAS system so it's taking me a while to migrate over to Synology's DSM!

Thanks again,

Keith

One last question.............. Is there any way to be able to identify Disk 1 and Disk 2 so that I know which files are on which disk, rather than just having them "somewhere" on either of the two disks?

Is there any way to be able to identify Disk 1 and Disk 2 so that I know which files are on which disk
JBOD doesn't work so cleanly like that. The short answer is no. Your files may reside on either, or exist partially on both disks. If one JBOD disk fails, you are likely to lose recoverable access to all files.

I thought that might be the case. I was able to get it to work (identifying individual disk locations) on my Western Digital My Clouds but don't see any obvious way on the Synology.

Pity the WS "QuickConnect" equivalent is so flaky.

:(

Keith

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.