File Station sucks

NAS
Synolgy Ds218J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Am I the only one who hates file station
I want to remove some share folders could file station is giving me issues it won't let me delete anythin
g

Since I'm new it's running a Synology Nas I've made some errors when configuring my Nass
I'm slowly getting it to the way I would like it
But I've got these empty folders I can't delete
file station it just sucks is there anything I can run in place of it
that will allow me to delete my folders and make things nice and neat again

I want to delete directories that have a red.
I highlight them
Then I go to the action menu but I can't delete the directory it's greyed out

Viper now contains what audio and video library as it's an external drive that is 6 terabytes
I want to keep the main Drive for backups of important files

The fact that I can't delete folders is driving me nuts

4Ihnm8b.png

@Blackbeard2168
FileStation is OK

you need to change your approach from Try-and-Fail to Read the KB, of course we can help you
If you looking for a help from us you need change kind of unclear explanation for near by precise, e.g.:
- FileStation opened by Smartphone iOS..
- user with Administrator privileges
- can't delete SharedFolder or subfolder under main Shared Folder, ...
and don't mix 3 different topics into two rows ... because no one can see a picture in your head

Then we can help you faster - reason of your question.

Forgive my ignorance what does the type of folder have to do with being able to delete them or not
I don't want a folder I should just be able to get rid of it plain and simple I don't care if it's in the root or not

Forgive my ignorance what does the type of folder have to do with being able to delete them or not
I don't want a folder I should just be able to get rid of it plain and simple I don't care if it's in the root or not
I think you’ll need to adjust from thinking USB attached storage to thinking more broadly about a NAS. And I don’t mean this in any offensive way. We’ve all been through it.

It’s necessary for the NAS’ operating system (DSM) to keep track of a myriad of things about shared folders (privileges, permissions, quotas, encryption and more). After all, that’s what a NAS is all about– providing shares on the network. As it’s the case, the shared folders needs to be protected and shouldn’t be easily deleted or manipulated. For instance, “homes” is a shared folder that contains the “home” for each user where they keep their files (if enabled). Imagine deleting that from your desktop :)

The place for the user (admin) to manage shared folders is under Control Panel > Shared Folder
Which is good in my opinion because it provides a centralized location for all the shared folders rather than hunting around and trying to remember what’s shared and what’s not.

Just be careful of what you’re deleting, some actions cannot be undone :)

Considering that you are using the software the wrong way you can only blame yourself. People are here trying to be helpful. Follow the manual or suggestions and try and solve your problem that way.

If you continue to plan on posting in the manner you have done so far, you will be removed from the board. This is your 1st and final warning.

There should be no reason in File Station that you should be prevented from deleting a folder within a Shared Folder... provided the user account you have used to login has the necessary permissions to do this. If you are logging on using an user account that is in the Administrator group then you will be able to change permissions so that you can do what you want. To access a folder's info you can get to this using the Actions menu.

For Shared Folders you have to managed these in Control Panel.

Can't remember if it was on DSM or other AFP/SMB/WebDAV server but I do recall some years ago that first-level folders of a Shared Folder would get created with admin ownership not the user I had connected with from Mac. I created a few 'Untitled Folder' until I realised what was happening. Haven't had it since. It was fixed by changing the permissions on the folders I created and also Shared Folder's top-level permissions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.