NAS
DS1518+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hey All,

I received a notification yesterday that indicated that there were file system errors on my one and only Volume. Attempted to run the suggested file system check, however, I keep getting a pop-up saying "Docker: The package is using a shared folder on this folder. Go to Package Center and stop Docker first". I attempted to do this, but I get the same error. I then ran "sudo synopkgctl stop Docker" (which indicates that the service\package is stopped) from the shell and I still get the error. Is there a way to stop the Docker package or to work around this issue?

Thanks for your help.

Scottie

I ended up uninstalling the docker package, however, it runs a system check and then I get a notification that says a system check was completed but some services could not be reactivated. The same warning message appears in the Storage Manager application/package.

Does anyone have advice on what to do next?

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you are getting some DSM OS problems happening. Maybe if you could reinstall the OS it would fix the problems if those are not going away using the suggested methods.
It seems a little extreme to re-install the OS for an issue like this, but I will defer to your experience. How do I reinstall the OS?

I ended up uninstalling the docker package, however, it runs a system check and then I get a notification that says a system check was completed but some services could not be reactivated. The same warning message appears in the Storage Manager application/package.
There's very little to work with here - 'some services'...we need more information. Eg, do the logs say which services are affected? Do any apps now not work?

There's very little to work with here - 'some services'...we need more information. Eg, do the logs say which services are affected? Do any apps now not work?
Which logs should I be checking?

Last edited:
There's an app called 'Logs' or similar in DSM...!
(...I'm anticipating the next Q will be 'what am I looking for in the logs?...')

Sometimes, you gotta put some troubleshooting effort in for yourself. People here are trying to help you, but all you've done so far is come back with even more basic Qs. Your flair says you use Linux - If you're not capable of finding/looking at logs then troubleshooting this is likely to be beyond you and you should take u/Rustys advice above and just reinstall the thing.

You've been given a couple of good leads to try - go try them and report back.

There's an app called 'Logs' or similar in DSM...!
(...I'm anticipating the next Q will be 'what am I looking for in the logs?...')

Sometimes, you gotta put some troubleshooting effort in for yourself. People here are trying to help you, but all you've done so far is come back with even more basic Qs. Your flair says you use Linux - If you're not capable of finding/looking at logs then troubleshooting this is likely to be beyond you and you should take u/Rustys advice above and just reinstall the thing.

You've been given a couple of good leads to try - go try them and report back.
In *nix operating systems there are numerous logs that can be viewed and more so in the Synology world, most of which aren't captured in the Log App. Saying "check the logs" is like saying "check the library", it is vague and offers no help, so I think you might want to rethink the way you engage on these forums as clearly you aren't very good at it.

To address your second point, no one has provided good leads, or helpful information. Your answer was "what do the logs say", if the logs said anything useful I would have included them in the original post. The other clown suggested re-installing the OS, which shouldn't be anyone's initial response to query on a forum (imagine the outrageous number of Windows re-installs would need to take place if the default response was to do a reinstall). Worst of all that came from a Mod.

I had, prior to creating the original post, gone through a copious number of logs and nothing within them captures the information you feel I should be aware of. You asked if, I had apps failing, however had this been an issue I would have included that information within the original post.

I would suggest you get off your high horse, learn how to ask communicate in an appropriate way, ask more detailed questions and stop being a passive-aggressive little man.

@pbondurant @Scottie

Guys, please, play nice. This is not a place for such discussions. This is my last warning.

The other clown suggested re-installing the OS, which shouldn't be anyone's initial response to query on a forum (imagine the outrageous number of Windows re-installs would need to take place if the default response was to do a reinstall). Worst of all that came from a Mod.
And @Scottie, please, you can't attack our highly experienced Mod like that. I'll give a warning for that. The next step is a forum ban.

Again, play nice, we will not tolerate such behaviour.

The other clown suggested re-installing the OS,
True. My initial response might have been wrong but the details were scares and I was in a hurry. Didn’t want the topic to stay unanswered and wanted the conversation to start rolling.

As for being a clow, that’s what my wife says as well haha.

Welcome to the forum btw, let’s all hope your stay will not be a short one.

I’m sure we can help a fellow member on the matter at hand and if anyone has any constructive information to add, please, do so.

Time to put my red nose back on 😉

@pbondurant @Scottie

Guys, please, play nice. This is not a place for such discussions. This is my last warning.
Ok no problem; I'll stop discussing this right now.
I would suggest you get off your high horse, learn how to ask communicate in an appropriate way, ask more detailed questions and stop being a passive-aggressive little man.
Err '...passive-agressive little woman', if one is going to take the trouble to be precise ;) There aren't many of us in tech, but we do exist!
I wish you nothing but the best in finding a solution to your fs issue.

Hi there, I have a very similar if not the same issue that Scottie has. A few weeks back, don't remember exactly when, we had a power outage and when I restarted my NAS it had a warning issue. It tells me to run a file system check, but when I do so it says that I need to change the location of the folder. I tried different places with no avail.

See attached captures.

This is my first NAS and I am not particularly knowledgeable with them. Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 139
If you are having the problem listed (reported that Storage Analyzer is causing an issue), moving SA to a new folder on the same volume will not resolve the issue.

Try and stop storage analyzer, or if that fails, delete it and try the fix process again.

If that fails, I would recommend to open a ticket with Syno and let them have a look. Do not do anything you are not familiar with, so that you don't cause any potential further damage. This could be a simple fix for Syno support, if these previous steps fail.

If you are having the problem listed (reported that Storage Analyzer is causing an issue), moving SA to a new folder on the same volume will not resolve the issue.

Try and stop storage analyzer, or if that fails, delete it and try the fix process again.

If that fails, I would recommend to open a ticket with Syno and let them have a look. Do not do anything you are not familiar with, so that you don't cause any potential further damage. This could be a simple fix for Syno support, if these previous steps fail.
Thanks for the quick reply!

So, I don't know how to stop storage analyzer, is there something similar to task manager anyware ( I could not close the process from the resource monitor). Also, would not that be done once I reboot the NAS (I have done that a couple of times to no avail).

Thanks for the quick reply!

So, I don't know how to stop storage analyzer, is there something similar to task manager anyware ( I could not close the process from the resource monitor). Also, would not that be done once I reboot the NAS (I have done that a couple of times to no avail).

Click the "start" button, then Package Center, then find Storage Analyzer, click on it, select the little drop down menu next to "Open" and click "Stop". Then, if you need it once you have done the file system check, restart it (same steps).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.